We aim to do this through producing a phenomenological breakdown, documentation and analysis of the consistent subjective effects found within a wide variety of our differing methodologies in an extremely high level of detail. The PW community has done this from a purely phenomenological perspective that does not depend on analogy, metaphors or mysticism to convey its definitions. The effects themselves are documented, organized and mapped out through the use of formal literary descriptions, terminologies and definitions which are organized into the separate articles below:
- Subjective effects - Psychedelics
- Subjective effects - Dissociatives
- Subjective effects - Deliriants
- Subjective effects index
- Specific Substances
- Lucid Dreaming
Mission statementOur purpose here at PsychonautWiki includes:
- To establish psychonautics (the exploration of consciousness) as a legitimate field of science.
- To reach an understanding of consciousness through a phenomenological documentation and analysis of the consistent subjective effects found within its varying states.
- To minimize danger, maximize safety and end the cultural taboos associated with personal psychoactive substance usage by providing unbiased and scientifically accurate information.
- To provide a platform for the psychonaut community through which ongoing goal driven collaboration and discussion will be actively organized and encouraged.
HistoryDisregardEveryThingISay. This blog was originally formed on August the 22nd 2011 by Josifikins. It was created with the intention of mapping out the psychedelic experience in a satisfactory level of formal description that was seemingly non-existent within any of the current scientific literature.
As the website expanded and grew, it became increasingly obvious that tumblr was not going to be a suitable host for a project of this size. Thus on May the 11th 2013 PW was founded and the format of an open community driven wiki was chosen so that the project could progress as quickly as possible. This was done with the hopes that it would one day become entirely self-sufficient in its own momentum.
The wiki was not made public until August the 22nd 2013 when it was launched as an incomplete project still in beta mode. The full release of Version 1.0 remains in progress to this day but is quickly approaching completion.
LogoThe PW logo symbol was drawn by site founder Josifikins but was later improved upon and animated by a user known as Shpongulate. The original concept however was created by the late theoretical physicist John Archibald Wheeler on page 209 of his 1983 paper law withoutlaw. This symbol exists to serve as a visual representation of the most profound subjective effect component found within the entirety of the hallucinogenic experience which is known as a state of unity and interconnectedness. The eye represents the self and the line directly opposite represents that which it is perceiving within the "external" environment. The two sections are connected into each other via arrows to demonstrate that it is a singular and unified system.
ContributorsThe PsychonautWiki project is run by a small team of extremely dedicated individuals each of which are mutually dependent upon the skills of one another and contribute their own specific and essential field of expertise. These are listed below in alphabetical order:
- Caboose - In charge of assisting with general subjective effect documentation as well as content production, quality control and user moderation.
- Cocoanatta - In charge of technical server operation, coding, website progression and maintenance, formal documentation, description and organization of PW's categorized subjective effects, and the overall development of psychonautics into an established field of science as well as general content production across the website.
- DemFractalsYo - In charge of providing factual/accurate scientific information regarding the physical mechanisms behind the actions of psychoactive drugs, including but not limited to chemistry, pharmacology and neuroscience.
- Josifikins - The original founder of PW and DEIS. In charge of the formal documentation, description and organization of PW's categorized subjective effects, general content production across the website and the overall development of psychonautics into an established field of science. This can be read about as a person within this community reddit interview found here.
- Oscarette - In charge of editorial work such as grammar checking, quality control and editing as well as the formal documentation, description and organization of PW's categorized subjective effects, general content production across the website and the overall development of psychonautics into an established field of science.
- PJosepherum - In charge of tripping absolute face, maintaining the server integrity, development and implementation of MediaWiki mods, content organisation and production, quality control, user moderation, et. cetera.
- Replicatosaurus - In charge of the replication of the consistent subjective visual effects found within the hallucinogenic experience through the use of photography and image/video editing. Her work can be read about within this Huffington Post interview here.
- Surgeon - In charge of semantics, managing templates, managing translations in all languages, translating the information found on PW in french as well as content production, quality control and user moderation.