|Śri Sathya Sai Baba|
Sathya Sai Baba standing on a float in a parade in 1946.
23 November 1926
Puttaparthi, Madras Presidency,British India
|Died||24 April 2011 (aged 84)|
Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Quotation||Love All, Serve All|
Help Ever, Hurt Never
Early life and proclamation
Later activities and establishments
Old age, illness and death
|Wikinews has related news:Renowned Indian guru Śrī Satya Sai Baba dies aged 84|
Beliefs and practices of devotees
"My objective is the establishment of sanatana dharma, which believes in one God as propitiated by the founders of all religions. So none has to give up his religion or deity."
Ashrams and mandirs
Institutions, organisations and projects
Sathya Sai Organisation
Criticism and controversy
Responses to criticism
"We are deeply pained and anguished by the wild, reckless and concocted allegations made by certain vested interests and people against Bhagawan Sri Sathya Sai Baba. We would normally expect that responsible media would ascertain the true facts before printing such calumny – especially when the person is revered globally as an embodiment of love and selfless service to humanity. Since this professional ethic has not been observed by a section of the media, we have elected to go public with this signed statement."
"Some people out of their mean-mindedness are trying to tarnish the image of Sai Baba. I am not after name and fame. So, I do not lose anything by their false allegations. My glory will go on increasing day by day. It will never diminish even a bit if they were to publicize their false allegations in the whole world in bold letters. Some devotees seem to be perturbed over these false statements. They are not true devotees at all. Having known the mighty power of Sai, why should they be afraid of the 'cawing of crows'? One should not get carried away by all that is written on walls, said in political meetings or the vulgar tales carried by the print media."
- Charlene Leslie-Chaden (2004). A compendium of the teachings of Sri Sathya Sai Baba. Sai Towers Publishing. p. 526. ISBN 978-81-7899-042-2. Retrieved 24 April 2011.[self-published source?]
- Architectural digest. Conde Nast Publications. 1 May 1994. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- Vasan Ayyar (2009-12-31). "Love All Serve All". Sathyasaibaba.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Obituary: Indian guru Sai Baba". BBC. 24 April 2011. "Satya Sai Baba was born Sathyanarayana Raju on 23 November 1926"
- Richard Weiss, Victoria University of Wellington – The Global Guru: Sai Baba and the Miracle of the Modern; Available Online: http://www.nzasia.org.nz/downloads/NZJAS-Dec05/7_2_2.pdf
- Babb, Lawrence A. (1991). Redemptive Encounters: Three Modern Styles in the Hindu Tradition. Biography section available online – see google book search:University of California Press. pp. 164–166. ISBN 0-520-07636-2.
- Balakrishnan, Deepa (23 November 2007). "Sai Baba turns 82, is still going strong". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Lochtefeld, James G. (2002). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Hinduism (Vol. 2 N-Z). New York: Rosen. ISBN 0-8239-2287-1.(pg 583)
- Nagel, Alexandra (note: Nagel is a critical former follower). "Een mysterieuze ontmoeting ...: Sai Baba en mentalist Wolf Messing". Tijdschrift voor Parapsychologie 368, vol. 72 nr 4, December 2005, pp. 14–17. (Dutch)
- Lochtefeld, James G. (2002). The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Hinduism (Vol. 1). Rosen. ISBN 0-8239-3179-X. See entry: "Godman".
- Hummel, Reinhart; Linda W. Duddy (translator) (1984). "Guru, Miracle Worker, Religious Founder: Sathya Sai Baba".Dialogcentret Article in Update IX 3, September 1985, originally published in German in Materialdienst der EZW, 47 Jahrgang, 1 February 1984.
- Urban, Hugh B. (2003). "Avatar for Our Age: Sathya Sai Baba and the Cultural Contradictions of Late Capitalism". Religion(Elsevier) 33 (1): 82. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- Available online
- "Thousands flock to funeral of India guru Satya Sai Baba". BBC News. 27 April 2011.
- Urban, Hugh B. (2003). "Avatar for Our Age: Sathya Sai Baba and the Cultural Contradictions of Late Capitalism".Religion (Elsevier) 33 (1): 74. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- Palmer, Norris W. "Baba's World". In: Forsthoefel, Thomas A.; Humes, Cynthia Ann (eds.) (2005). Gurus in America. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press. p. 99.ISBN 0-7914-6574-8.
- Haraldsson, Erlendur, Miracles are my visiting cards – An investigative inquiry on Sathya Sai Baba, (1997 revised and updated edition published by Sai Towers, Prasanthi Nilayam, India), p. 55, ISBN 81-86822-32-1
- John Eade, Christopher Mele: Understanding the City:Contemporary and Future Perspectives
- CJ: Mazhar Nawaz. "Sathya Sai Baba celebrates his 84th birthday". Merinews.com. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- "‘Vaastu dosham’ at hospital he built, say Sai kin". The Times of India. April 25, 2011.
- Kent, Alexandra (2005). Divinity and Diversity: A Hindu Revitalization Movement in Malaysia. Biography section available online – see google book search: Nordic Institute of Asian Studies. pp. 37–39. ISBN 87-91114-40-3.
- Alexandra Kent – Creating Divine Unity: Chinese Recruitment in the Sathya Sai Baba Movement of Malaysia
- Larson's Book of World Religions and Alternative Spirituality
- "Sathyam Sivam Sundaram Part I: 5.The Serpent Hill". Vahini.org. 1940-03-08. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Staff (23 Nov 2003). "Sathya Sai Speaks Volume 36 (2003): 20. Mother's Role in Human Values". Sri Sathya Sai Books and Publications Trust. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Masoud Kheirabadi (March 2005). Sri Satya Sai Baba. Infobase Publishing. pp. 28–. ISBN 978-0-7910-8104-4. Retrieved 24 April 2011.
- Schulman, Arnold (1971). Baba. Viking Press. pp. 122–124.ISBN 0-670-14343-X.
- Murphet, Howard (1977), Man of Miracles, Weiser, ISBN 0-87728-335-4
- Bowen, David (1988). The Sathya Sai Baba Community in Bradford: Its origins and development, religious beliefs and practices. Leeds: University Press. ISBN 1-871363-02-0.
- "Sri Sathya Sai 80th year of Advent". Chennai, India: The Hindu India's National Newspaper. 2005-11-23. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Murphet, Howard (1977). Man of Miracles. Weiser. ISBN 0-87728-335-4 portions available onlinehttp://books.google.ca/books?id=BPsVFqhclS0C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false
- "Shiva Shakthi". Sathyasai.org. 1963-07-06. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- About Prema Sai Baba
- "Sathyam Sivam Sundaram Part III: 3. The Awakening Continent". Vahini.org. 1968-12-07. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Staff (4-7-1968). "Sathya Sai Speaks Volume 8 (1968): 22. The message I bring". Sri Sathya Sai Books and Publications Trust. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- "Sathyam, Shivam and Sundaram Mandirs".http://media.radiosai.org.+2006-03-01.
- "Who is Sri Sathya Sai Baba?". Press Trust of India. NDTV. 24 April 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Religion Obituaries; Satya Sai Baba". London: The Telegraph. 24 April 2011.
- Madhusoodan, M K (25 April 2011). "Sathya Sai Baba escaped murder attempt". Daily News and Analysis.
- The Hindu: Water projects: CM all praise for Satya Sai Trust by Our Staff Reporter, 13 February 2004,Available online
- "Sai Global Harmony – Prasanthi Bulletin". Radiosai.org. 2006-04-07. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Balakrishnan, Deepa (23 November 2007). "Sai Baba turns 82, is still going strong". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2010-01-06."However, he has been confined to a wheelchair for over two years now and his failing health has forced him to make fewer public appearances."
- "Sai Baba in stable condition: Hospital". Hindustan Times. 2011-04-05. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Baba's health condition 'stable'". The Times of India. 2011-04-06. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Spiritual leader Sathya Sai Baba passes away". The Times of India. 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Babb, Lawrence (1986). Redemptive Encounters: Three Modern Styles in the Hindu Tradition. Berkeley: University of California Press. p. 166. ISBN 1-57766-153-2. "His present incarnation, he says, ... He will die at the age of ninety-six, but his body will stay young until then."
- Mohammed Shafeeq. Post. Durban: Apr 27, 2011. pg. 4
- Sri Philip M. Prasad, Malayalam Daily. Kerala, India: 25 April 2011. "What Baba has foretold was indeed correct. According to the Roman calendar he has completed 85 years. But one can note that generally in all of Baba’s discourses Baba had been referring to the star (lunar) basis in calculations. In Indian astrology there are 27 stars in a month starting with Aswathy and ending with Revathy. Accordingly a year of 12 months is composed of 324 days. Sai Baba was born on 23 November 1925. From that day till his death day 24 April 2011 there were a total of 33,899 days. If this is divided with 324, we get 95 years and 54 days. Accordingly, under the star basis of calculation he was in his 96th year having completed 54 days when he left his physical body."
- The Hindustan Times, New Delhi: 25 April 2011.
- News 9, 24 April 2011, 16:00 IST
- "Last rites of Sathya Sai Baba begin". 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "Indian guru Sai Baba dies in hospital – Central & South Asia". Al Jazeera English. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "Sathya Sai Baba buried in Puttaparthi". DNA. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "Tearful farewell to Sathya Sai Baba". CNN-IBN. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-27.
- "L.K.Advani Reaction on Sathya Sai Baba`s Death :TV9 – Mirchi 9 – Telugu News | Andhra News | Hyderabad | Andhra | India | Brain | Studies | University". Mirchi9.com. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- "L.K.Advani Reaction on Sathya Sai Baba's Death, TV9 – L.K.Advani Reaction on Sathya Sai Baba's Death at". 70mmonline.com. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- World has lost a great spiritual leader - Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- "Dalai Lama Mourns Sri Sathya Sai Baba's Death". 25 April 2011. Retrieved 29 May 2011.
- Sachin mourns Sai Baba's death on his b'day: Cricketnext
- Dominic, Kennedy (27 August 2001). "Suicide, sex and the guru". The Times (UK: Times Newspapers Ltd).
- "Sathya Sai Baba – Interview with journalist – September 1976". Saibaba.ws. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Sri Sathya Sai Baba Organization in Canada – Home Page". Sathyasai.ca. 2006-05-01. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "The Sri Sathya Sai Baba Centre of Toronto – York". Sathyasaitoronto.org. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- Krishnamoorthy, M. (2 April 2005). "Enlightening experience in India". The Star Online. Retrieved 2010-01-06. Also seeAshram information.
- Places to see at Puttaparthi. Available online
- The Hindu, "A 5-point recipe for happiness", by Our Staff Reporter, 24 November 2006 Available online
- The Hindu, "Warm welcome to PM at Puttaparthi", by Our Staff Reporter, 12 February 2004 Available online
- Deccan Herald: "Sathya Sai's birthday celebrations on" by Terry Kennedy, 23 November 2005, Available online[dead link]
- The ashrams of Sathya Sai Baba. Referenced from the official Sathya Sai Organization website, Available online
- Times Of India, "Sathya Sai Baba Trust to set up second superspecialty hospital at Bangalore", 29 May 2000
- "Sri Sathya Sai University, Prasanthi Nilayam Campus". Sssu.edu.in. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Sri Sathya Sai University, Brindavan Nilayam Campus". Sssu.edu.in. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- "Sri Sathya Sai University, Anantapur Campus". Sssu.edu.in. Retrieved 2011-04-02.
- Education for Life, The Sathya Sai Way, Times of India, Chennai, Special Report, 14-April-2010 
- "Education Plus : An emerging educational hub". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 2009-09-07. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Varsity for Muddenehalli". Expressbuzz.com. 2008-11-25. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- Deccan Harald: "Where service comes first" by Aruna Chandaraju, 17 January 2006 Available online[dead link]
- The Hindu: Vajpayee hits out at high cost of medicare by A. Jayaram, 20 January 2001 Available online
- Times Of India, "Sai hospital to host health meet on Saturday", 14 January 2002, Available online
- The Times Of India: Super-Specialty hospital touches 2.5 lakh cases by Manu Rao, Available online
- "Sai Baba hospital: A refuge to millions", 1 May 2001, Available online
- The Week: Showers of Grace by Hiramalini Seshadri, 26 May 2002 Available online.
- The Hindu: Chennai benefits from Sai Baba's initiative by Our Special Correspondent, 1 December 2004, Available online
- The Hindu: Project Water by Hiramalini Seshadri, 25 June 2003, Available online
- Chennai Online: MK hails Sai Baba's service to mankind, 21 January 2007, Available online
- IBN: Karunanidhi shares dais with Sai Baba, 21 January 2007, Available online
- The Hindu: Saibaba Trust to undertake drinking water project in Latur, 17 January 2007,Available online[dead link]
- Flood leaves behind a miracle, The Times of India, Chennai, Special Report, 14-April-2010 
- Sai Educare Website, authorized by the Sathya Sai Organization, Available online.
- "Sathya Sai Educare". Educare.sathyasai.org. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Times of Zambia". Times.co.zm. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "School Report Cards by Fraser Institute". Fraserinstitute.org. Retrieved 2010-07-26.[dead link]
- "Sathya Sai School Shines! – Sri Sathya Sai Baba Book and Information Centre of Canada". Saibooks.org. 2007-02-13. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "SSSCT-Service Projects – Water Supply – Anantapur". Srisathyasai.org.in. 1999-11-23. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- The Hindu, "Saibaba Gospel Goes On Air", 24 November 2001, Available online
- Felicitation for Water Project Indian Express.
- "Indian News". Indiaenews.com. 2007-01-21. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Sai Baba turns 84". Thestar.com.my. 2009-12-03. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- "The Sai Organization: Numbers to Sai Centers and Names of Countries". Sathyasai.org. Retrieved 2010-01-06.
- Adherents cites Chryssides, George. Exploring New Religions. London, UK: Cassells (1999) (10 million)
*Brown, Mick (2000-10-28). "Divine Downfall". Daily Telegraph.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2000/10/28/tlbaba28.xml. Retrieved 2007-03-12
*Edwards, Linda (2001). A Brief Guide to Beliefs: Ideas, Theologies, Mysteries, and Movements. Westminster John Knox Press. ISBN 0-664-22259-5.
- The Economist, "Sai Baba", 14 May 2011, p. 110.
- Bradsher, Keith (2002-12-01). "A Friend in India to All the World". The New York Times. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- Palmer, Norris W. "Baba's World". In: Forsthoefel, Thomas A.; Humes, Cynthia Ann (eds.) (2005). Gurus in America. Albany, New York: State University of New York Press. pp. 97–98.ISBN 0-7914-6574-8.
- "Sathya Sai Baba passes away, leaves behind Rs 40,000-cr worth empire with no clear succession plan". Economic Times. 25 April 2011.quote: Sai Baba leaves behind a wide network of charitable institutions, hospitals, schools, colleges, which some estimate to be worth about Rs 40,000 crore
- Amarnath K. Menon (April 25, 2011). "Up in the Heir: The secret world of Sathya Sai Baba's Rs 40,000 cr empire". India Today. Retrieved Jun 9, 2011.
- Indo-Asian News Service (April 24, 2011). "Sai Baba's death leaves question mark on Rs 40,000 crore empire".Deccan Herald. Retrieved jun 9,2011.
- "Sathya Sai Baba trust worth Rs 1.4 lakh crore?". CNN-IBN. Apr 26, 2011. Retrieved jun 9, 2011.
- "What’s inside Sathya Sai’s personal chamber?". Zee News. June 2, 2011. Retrieved Jun 9, 2011.
- Express News Service (May 31, 2011). "Trust hesitant on unlocking Sai Babas residence". CNN-IBN. Retrieved Jun 9, 2011.
- Radio Sai's E-Journal. Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust Press Meet, June 28, 2011,http://media.radiosai.org/Journals/Vol_09/01JUN11/11-press_meet_Part02.htm
- Deccan Herald, Tuesday 17 June. 2011, "Huge amount of gold, silver, cash found in Sai Baba's Chamber"http://www.deccanherald.com/content/169535/huge-amount-gold-silver-cash.html.
- "Assets worth Rs77L seized at Sai ashram". Times of India. 3 July 2011.
- "Treasure island: Sai Baba's gold trove". Press Trust of India. 17 June 2011.
- G.S. Radhakrishna (June 17, 2011). "Open sesame! Baba & his chamber of secrets". The Telegraph of India (Calcutta, India). and this graphic
- "Three-day count at Baba’s ashram yields treasure". The Times of India. July 21, 2011.
- http://www.deccanherald.com/content/178661/perfumes-sarees-form-sai-babas.html, Deccan Herald, "Goods found believed to have been gifted by devotees from all over the world. Perfumes, sarees form Sai Baba's Inventory", Hyderabad, July 23, DHNS.
- Haraldson, op. cit, pp 204–205
- Interview given by Sathya Sai Baba to R. K. Karanjia of Blitz News Magazine in September 1976 Available online
- Haraldsson, pp 209
- Haraldsson, op. cit., pp. 206
- Tanya Datta (17 June 2004). "Sai Baba: Goan or con man?".BBC News. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- James Randi (1995). An encyclopedia of claims, frauds, and hoaxes of the occult and supernatural. St. Martin's Press. p. 205. ISBN 978-0-312-13066-4. OCLC 32167512.
- "Eagle & Eagle". Eagletv.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-01-07. Clip
- Haraldsson, op. cit., pp. 295–301
- Haraldsson, op. cit., pp 300, 295–301
- Mick Brown, The Spiritual Tourist, 1998, Bloomsbury Publishing, ISBN 1-58234-034-X Chapter In the House of God, pp. 73–74
- Hislop, John S. My Baba and I 1985 published by Birth Day Publishing Company, San Diego, California ISBN 0-9600958-8-8, Chapter The Resurrection of Walter Cowan, pages 28–31
- Brown Mick, The Spiritual Tourist, Ch: "The Miracle In North London", pp. 29–30, 1998 ISBN 158234034X4
- India Today, "A God Accused", 4 December 2000 Available online
- Eamon Hardy, Tanya Datta (2004). Secret Swami(Documentary). BBC News. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- Øyvind Kyrø, Steen Jensen (2002). Seduced by Sai Baba(Documentary). DR.[dead link]
- Palmer, Norris W. "Baba's World". In: Forsthoefel, Thomas A.; Humes, Cynthia Ann (eds.) (2005). Gurus in America. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press. ISBN 0-7914-6574-8.
- "Programmes | This World | Secret Swami". BBC News. 2004-06-11. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- The Vancouver Sun, 27 February 2001, Holy man? Sex abuser? Both?
- Palmer, Norris W. "Baba's World". In: Forsthoefel, Thomas A.; Humes, Cynthia Ann (eds.) (2005). Gurus in America. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press. p. 117. ISBN 0-7914-6574-8.
- Aitken, Bill (27 November 2005), Miracle of Welfarehttp://web.archive.org/web/20060909111636/http://www.the-week.com/25nov27/currentevents_article10.htm
- Brown, Mick (2000-10-28). "Divine Downfall". Daily Telegraph.
- Sri Sathya Sai Baba – A Living Legend – An Embodiment Of Love For All Mankind, Letter from A.B. Vajpayee (the then Prime Minister of India), [dead link]
- Rao, Manu (26 December 2000), Sai Baba lashes out at detractorshttp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/534425761.cms
- Sathya Sai Speaks Vol.33, pg.389
- Tulasi Srinivas (2010). Winged Faith: Rethinking Globalization and Religious Pluralism Through the Sathya Sai Movement. Columbia University Press. pp. 430. ISBN 978-0-231-14933-4.
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Sathya Sai Baba|
|Wikinews has related news: Sai Baba upsets Telangana activists|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Sathya Sai Baba|
- International Sai Organization Official website
- BBC documentary "Secret Swami"
- DR documentary "Seduced by Sai Baba"
- Sathya Sai Baba at the Internet Movie Database
- Works by or about Sathya Sai Baba in libraries (WorldCat catalog)