To participate in the Kundalini Experimental Project and contribute important research data, please visit the Kundalini Experimental Project page on the ESF website.
- 1 Analysis Goals
- 2 Summary Information
- 3 Primary Experience Categories Factor Analysis
- 4 Cluster analysis
- 5 Open text cross-validation
Analysis GoalsThe Kundalini Profile Survey was created to document the types of spiritual experiences people are having, and associated physical and psychological experiences.
Analysis on the Kundalini Profile Survey has a few basic goals:
- Discover groupings of Kundalini experiences that occur together.
- Explore the relationship between different experience types and other physical and psychological experiences.
- Create an empirical, data-driven way of classifying a person's spiritual experiences.
- Lay the groundwork for future experimentation on Kundalini by providing important measures that can be used to track progress. Future research will focus on potential ways to enhance or accelerate the Kundalini process. Kundalini is seen as the biological basis of all spiritual experiences.
Summary InformationTo date, 338 people from all walks of life and from across the globe have participated in the Kundalini Profile Survey.
Age and SexThere has been broadly an equal participation from men and women, although there were slightly more women who took part. People of all ages have taken part in the survey with the majority of respondants being around the age of 30.
Core Experience SummaryThe survey contains a list of 66 "core experience" questions describing classical Kundalini awakening indicators. The list was derived from previous surveys and existing literature, and respondents reported the strength of their experiences along a 5-point likert scale.
The survey contains three categories of experiences:
- Mystical indicators are those that typically transcend the normal bounds of human experience.
- Spiritual indicators are those that, although they may have sublime characteristics, might not be as radical as mystical experiences.
- Psychophysiological indicators are those that affect the body and mind through some not yet understood connecting medium.
psyphys(psychophysiolocical) question categories. In general, the data shows a very common occurrence of powerful, transformative experiences among respondents. Prevalent experiences in each category include:
- Mystical experiencies associated with the perception of unity and consciousness.
- Spiritual indicators associated with wisdom and intuition.
- Psychophysiolocal experiences associated with energy vibrating or moving in the body.
Primary Experience Categories Factor AnalysisFactor analysis was conducted on the 66 primary experience questions. Factor analysis is a technique of identifying groups of correlated variables that correspond to latent categories of experiences. Principal Axis Factoring with Promax rotation was used, which is a technique used in a psychological research setting. The mystical, spiritual, and psychophysiological question categories were analyzed. The number of factors to be determined per category was determined using an empirical technique known as parallel analysis. This was used to maximize reproducibility of our results and to avoid researcher bias. One key observation was the prominence of a single factor, labeled "Higher Consciousness," which accounted for a very large portion of explained variance in the data. To illustrate this point, all 66 questions were used in the following scree plot, in which Higher Consciousness is shown as the first factor:
- The direct perception of consciousness.
- Unity and the personal identification with all of creation
Mystical Question Factors
|Higher Consciousness||Ecstacy||Grace Experiences|
|Experience of Higher consciousness/cosmic consciousness||Intense feeling of peace||Tasting sacred nectar dripping from the roof of mouth or back of throat (amrita or soma)|
|Expansion of consciousness||Overwhelming sense of love||Experiences or visions of deities, gurus, icons, saints or mystics or other religious prophets, religious icons or universal archetypes|
|Revelation: Knowledge that comes from a divine source where the individual becomes aware of the source of that knowledge||Overwhelming sense of bliss, joy and or contentment||Receiving instructions from the divine|
|New knowledge / awareness of the unbounded intelligence behind universe||Overwhelming sense of wonder and awe||Feeling sacred touch (wind, presence, touch)|
|Personal identification with all of creation||Visions of glowing geometric shapes|
|Expanded comprehension of reality|
|Experience of deep unity and expansive consciousness|
|Union with Life Energy|
|All sense of separateness disappears|
|An experience of union with the Divine-God or universal consciousness|
Spiritual Question Factors
|Rebirth||Intuition||Synchronicity||Out of Body||Aural|
|New understanding of spiritual truths/Insight into the inner meaning of spiritual teachings||Feeling of connection with a spiritual guide or lineage||Spontaneously going into a deep meditative experience||Out of body experiences||Sacred auditions (of teachings, mantras, music)|
|Spiritual rebirth - spontaneous religious conversion or dramatic spiritual awakening, including a major reorientation of spiritual beliefs.||Receiving inner instruction||Increased experience of unsual synchronistic events||Astral/time travel experiences||Glossalalia (spontaneously reciting phonemes, mantras, prayers, or poems, singing hymns, or speaking foreign languages unknown to the individual)|
|An unshakable conviction about the reality of the experience||Inspired creativity||Encounters with nonmaterial entities(the deceased, lower astral beings, aliens, spirit guides)|
|Transient, atypical, pivotal, or opening experiences|
Psychophysiological Question Factors
|Feelings of energy flowing or vibrating within||Visions of light|
|Sensations of energy rushing up the spine||Floating in the light|
|Sensations of energy along the seven major chakras (chakras are spinning vortices of energy) that run from the base of the spine to the crown of the head||Sensations of white light or luminosity|
|Inner sensations of heat or cold|
|Transient or unusual symptoms or some features atypical for a standard diagnosis|
Variable Cluster Analysis
- Perform ICLUST analysis
- Create composite variables
- Hierarchical clustering and k-means for exploratory data analysis.
- Create classifications (segments).
- Create profiles.
Open text cross-validation
- Ensure consistency by analyzing open text responses.