From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia/Blogger Ref http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Multi-Dimensional_Science
This is a list of notable people who have adhered to a vegetarian diet at some point during their life. In the cases where a person's vegetarian status is disputed or they no longer adhere to a vegetarian diet, this is noted next to their entry as disputed or former.
This list does not include those who are identified as vegan - those who eat no animal products including milk, cheese, or butter - who are listed separately.
This list does not include those who are identified as vegan - those who eat no animal products including milk, cheese, or butter - who are listed separately.
|Francisco Madero||Politician, writer and revolutionary||Mexico|||
|R. Madhavan||Actor, writer, producer, television presenter||India|||
|Tobey Maguire||Actor, producer||United States|||
|Mahavira||Sage who established tenets of Jainism||India||(pp19–28)|
|Gustav Mahler||Composer and one of the leading conductors of his generation||Austria-Hungary||[nb 15][nb 16]|
|Jaime de Magalhães Lima||Thinker, poet, essayist, literary critic, promoter of vegetarianism||Portugal||[nb 17]|
|Andrius Mamontovas||Musician, Songwriter, record producer, actor||Lithuania|||
|Method Man||Hip hop artist, record producer, actor, member of the Wu-Tang Clan||United States|||
|Bob Marley||Singer songwriter, guitarist||Jamaica|||
|Jodie Marsh||Media personality, glamour model||United Kingdom|||
|Chris Martin||Musician, producer, member of Coldplay||United Kingdom|||
|Ricky Martin||Singer songwriter, actor||Puerto Rico|||
|Doug Martsch||Musician, member of Built to Spill||United States|||
|Scott Maslen||Actor, model||United Kingdom|||
|Mojo Mathers||Politician, member of the New Zealand House of Representatives||New Zealand|||
|Alicia Mayer||Actress, Comedian||Philippines|||
|Colman McCarthy||Journalist, teacher, lecturer, peace activist||United States||(pp206–207)|
|Paul McCartney||Musician, composer, producer, businessman, member of the The Beatles||United Kingdom|||
|Stella McCartney||Fashion designer||United Kingdom|||
|Rue McClanahan||Actress, comedienne, author||United States|||
|Jay McGuiness||Singer, member of the boy band The Wanted||United Kingdom|||
|Edward McMillan-Scott||Member of the European Parliament||United Kingdom|||
|Armin Meiwes||Convict who claims to be reformed and concerned about injustices||Germany|||
|Luisa Mell||Actress and former presenter of the RedeTV! programme Late Show||Brazil|||
|Natalie Merchant||Musician, Songwriter||United States|||
|Narendra Modi||Prime Minister of India||India|||
|Saint Angela de Merici||Religious leader and saint||Italy||(pp125–126)|
|Johan Messchaert||Singer and vocal pedagogue||Netherlands||(p219)|
|Lea Michele||Actress, singer||United States|||
|Crispian Mills||Musician, songwriter, film director||United Kingdom|||
|Hayley Mills||Actress, singer||United Kingdom|||
|Giovanni Pico della Mirandola||Renaissance philosopher||Italy|||
|Shanna Moakler||Actress, Model, Reality television celebrity||United States|||
|Elizabeth Maria Molteno||Suffragist and civil rights activist||South Africa|||
|Sophie Monk||Singer, songwriter, actress, model||Australia|||
|Théodore Monod||Naturalist, explorer, and humanist scholar||France|||
|Jenna Morasca||Actress, swimsuit model, winner of Survivor: The Amazon||United States|||
|Edwin Moses||Former American track and field athlete||United States|||
|Malcolm Muggeridge||Journalist, author, satirist||United Kingdom||(pp243–250)|
|Bawa Muhaiyaddeen||Saintly Tamil-speaking teacher and Sufi mystic from the island of Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka||(p175)|
|José Mujica||President of Uruguay||Uruguay|||
|Lillian Müller||Model and an actress in motion pictures and television||Norway|||
|Desidério Murcho||Philosopher, professor, and writer||Portugal||[nb 18]|
|Stuart Murdoch||Musician, member of indie pop band Belle & Sebastian||United Kingdom|||
|Keith Murray||Musician, member of indie rock band We Are Scientists||United States|||
|Reuben D. Mussey||Medical doctor and an early opponent of tobacco||United States||(pp44–46)|
|Xavier Naidoo||Singer-songwriter, record producer||Germany|||
|Martina Navratilova||Retired tennis player and a former World No. 1||Czech Republic||[nb 19]|
|Kevin Nealon||Actor and comedian||United States|||
|Helen Nearing||Author and the second wife of Scott Nearing||United States|||
|Philip Neri||Priest noted for founding the "Congregation of the Oratory"||Italy||(p152)(p153)|
|Jukka Nevalainen||Musician, member of Nightwish||Finland|||
|Phil Neville||Footballer, played for Manchester United and Everton||England|||
|Matt Nicholls||Musician, member of Bring Me the Horizon||United Kingdom|||
|George Nicholson||Nationally known printer||United Kingdom|||
|Ferdinand Domela Nieuwenhuis||The Netherlands' first prominent socialist||Netherlands||(p214)|
|Roberto de Nobili||Jesuit missionary to Southern India||Italy|||
|Krist Novoselic||Musician, songwriter, author, activist, Nirvana member||United States|||
|Paavo Nurmi||World record setting Runner||Finland|||
|Natasja Oerlemans||Politician, a prominent member of the Party for the Animals||Netherlands|||
|José Oiticica||Poet, activist||Brazil|||
|Margreth Olin||Film director and producer||Norway|||
|Maria O'Neill||Writer, poet, journalist, spiritualist||Portugal|||
|Kelly Osbourne||Singer-songwriter, author, actress, television personality, radio personality, fashion designer||United Kingdom|||
|Carré Otis||Actress, model||United States|||
|Esther Ouwehand||Politician, marketing manager||Netherlands||[nb 20]|
|Walburga, Lady Paget||Diarist, writer and an intimate friend of Queen Victoria||Germany|||
|Monty Panesar||Cricketer||United Kingdom|||
|Hayden Panettiere||Actress, singer, model||United States|||
|Alexandra Paul||Actress||United States|||
|Kal Penn||Film and television actor, producer, and civil servant||United States|||
|Isaac Leib Peretz||Yiddish language author and playwright||Poland||(p171)|
|Fiona Phillips||Television broadcaster||United Kingdom|||
|Sir Richard Phillips||Schoolteacher, author and publisher||United Kingdom||(pp235–244)|
|Kellie Pickler||Singer-songwriter||United States|||
|Plotinus||Major philosopher of the ancient world||Greece||[nb 21]|
|Plutarch||Biographer, essayist, priest, ambassador, magistrate||Greece|||
|Henri Polak||Trade unionist and politician||Netherlands||(p229)|
|Alexander Pope||Poet||United Kingdom|||
|Martín de Porres||Lay brother of the Dominican Order||Peru||(p206)|
|Natalie Portman||Actress||United States|||
|John Cowper Powys||Novelist||United Kingdom|||
|A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada||Gaudiya Vaishnava teacher, founder-acharya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness||India||(pp56–60)(pp173–180)|
|Jimmy Pursey||Musician, record producer||United Kingdom|||
|Pythagoras of Samos||Ionian Greek philosopher, mathematician, founder of Pythagoreanism||Greece|||
|Maggie Q||Actress, model||United States|||
|Srinivasa Ramanujan||Mathematician and autodidact||India|||
|Guillaume Thomas François Raynal||Writer and man of letters during the Age of Enlightenment||France||[nb 22]|
|Jean Jacques Élisée Reclus||Geographer, anarchist revolutionary, and writer.||France||(pp88,105,173–176)|
|Redman||Rapper, record producer, actor||United States|||
|Dimitri Reinderman||Chess Grandmaster with an Elo rating of 2542||Netherlands|||
|Ilya Yefimovich Repin||Leading Russian painter and sculptor of the Peredvizhniki artistic school||Russia||(pp110–114)|
|Reshma||Renowned folk singer of Pakistan||Pakistan|||
|Saint Richard of Chichester||Saint who was Bishop of Chichester||United Kingdom||(p191)(p81)|
|Joseph Ritson||Antiquary||United Kingdom||(pp185–190)|
|Reuven Rivlin||President of Israel||Israel|||
|Alice Roberts||Anatomist, Paleopathologist, TV presenter||United Kingdom|||
|Andy Robinson||English rugby union coach and retired player||United Kingdom|||
|Fred Rogers||Educator, minister, songwriter, television host||United States|||
|Huberto Rohden||Philosopher, educator, theologist, author, pioneer of transcendentalism||Brazil|||
|Romain Rolland||Dramatist, Essayist, Art historian, Novelist||France|||
|Marc van Roon||Jazz pianist||Netherlands|||
|Xavier Rudd||Musician, singer-songwriter||Australia|||
|RZA||Rapper, CEO, record producer, actor, screenwriter, author, director||United States|||
|Jacques-Henri Bernardin de Saint-Pierre||Writer, botanist||France||(pp208–214)(pp173–176)|
|Henry Stephens Salt||Writer, teacher, social reformer||United Kingdom|||
|Gabe Saporta||Lead singer and primary creative force behind the synthpop band Cobra Starship||Uruguay|||
|Judith Sargentini||GreenLeft politician||Netherlands|||
|Martin Sastre||Artist, Filmmaker||Uruguay|||
|Swami Satchidananda||Religious teacher, spiritual master and yoga adept||India|||
|Kool Savas||German rapper||Germany|||
|Nikolas Schiller||Blogger, prominent digital map artist in the blogosphere, civil rights activist||United States|||
|Wim T. Schippers||Voice actor, producer, comedian||Netherlands|||
|Loretta Schrijver||Television host||Netherlands||[nb 23]|
|Jason Schwartzman||Actor, musician||United States|||
|Albert Schweitzer||Music, philanthropy, theology||Germany|||
|Jenny Seagrove||Actress, political activist||United Kingdom|||
|Virender Sehwag||One of the leading batsmen in the Indian cricket team||India|||
|Sandra Seifert||Nurse, beauty pageant contestant, fashion model||Taiwan|||
|Serenity||Erotic dancer and pornographic actress||United States|||
|Christian Serratos||Actress||United States|||
|Quintus Sextius||Philosopher, whose philosophy combined Pythagoreanism with Stoicism||Italy||[nb 24]|
|George Bernard Shaw||Playwright, critic, political activist||Ireland|||
|Martin Shaw||Actor||United Kingdom|||
|Percy Bysshe Shelley||Poet, dramatist, essayist, novelist||United Kingdom||(pp218–235)|
|Herbert Shelton||Alternative medicine advocate, author, pacifist||United States||(pp160–161)|
|Sheetal Sheth||Actress, producer||United States|||
|Agostinho da Silva||Philosopher, essayist and writer||Portugal|||
|Sarah Silverman||Comedienne, writer, actress, singer and musician||United States|||
|Aaron Simpson||Mixed martial artist||United States|||
|Isaac Bashevis Singer||Novelist, short story writer||United States||(pp237–242)|
|Peter Singer||Moral philosopher||Australia|||
|Fauja Singh||Centenarian marathon runner||India|||
|Jon Skolmen||Actor and comedian||Norway|||
|Song Il-gook||Actor||South Korea|||
|Amílcar de Sousa||Medical doctor, author, president of the first Portuguese vegetarian society||Portugal|||
|Henry Spira||Widely regarded as one of the most effective animal rights activists of the 20th century||United States|||
|Aad Stelylen||Former Dutch athlete, specialised in long distances||Netherlands||(p102)|
|Arran Stephens||Writer, Founder of Nature's Path Foods||Canada|||
|Gruschenka Stevens||Actress and singer||Germany|||
|Joss Stone||Singer-songwriter, actress||United Kingdom|||
|Jan P. Strijbos||Naturalist, cineast, photographer, journalist, writer||Netherlands||(p242)|
|Ruben Studdard||Singer, actor||United States|||
|Mark Suppelsa||Television anchor||United States|||
|Oliver Sykes||Musician, member of Bring Me the Horizon||United Kingdom|||
|Amber Tamblyn||Actress||United States|||
|Serj Tankian||Musician, songwriter, record producer, poet, activist, System of a Down member||United States|||
|Tarkan||Singer-songwriter, record producer, performer||Turkey|||
|Tertullian||Prolific early Berber Christian author from Carthage in the Roman province of Africa||Roman Empire (Carthage)||(p53)(pp116–117)|
|Marianne Thieme||Politician, animal rights activist, author||Netherlands||[nb 25]|
|Maarten Tjallingii||Professional racing cyclist for UCI ProTeam Belkin Pro Cycling||Netherlands|||
|Leo Tolstoy||Novelist, short story writer, playwright, essayist||Russia||(pp88–97)|
|Peter Tosh||Musician, member of The Wailers||Jamaica|||
|Paolo Troubetzkoy||Artist, sculptor||Russia||[nb 26]|
|Titia van der Tuuk||Author, feminist, pacifist, teacher||Netherlands||(p226)|
|Shania Twain||Singer-songwriter, television personality||Canada|||
|Richard Ungewitter||Writer, pioneer of the German nudist movement||Germany||(pp436–437)|
|Mellie Uyldert||Writer, alternative healer, occultist and astrologer||Netherlands||(p246)|
|Pedro Valdjiu||Musician, member of Blasted Mechanism||Portugal|||
|Yolandi Visser||Musician||South Africa|||
|Eddie Vedder||Musician, songwriter, member of alternative rock band Pearl Jam||United States|||
|Marly van der Velden||Actress||Netherlands||[nb 27]|
|Krista van Velzen||Politician||Netherlands|||
|Milo Ventimiglia||Actor, director||United States|||
|Georgina Verbaan||Actress, singer||Netherlands|||
|Leon Verdonschot||Journalist, presenter, writer, radio producer, columnist||Netherlands|||
|Umberto Veronesi||Surgeon and oncologist||Italy|||
|Swami Vivekananda||Chief disciple of the 19th-century saint Ramakrishna||India||(pp50–52)|
|Vydūnas||Teacher, poet, humanist, philosopher and Lithuanian||Lithuania|||
|Herschel Walker||Former American college and professional football player and a mixed martial artist||United States|||
|David Wallechinsky||Author of many Olympic reference books and other reference books||United States||(pp219–224)|
|Bernard Weatherill||Politician, Speaker of the House of Commons||United Kingdom|||
|Dennis Weaver||Actor||United States|||
|John Wesley||Founder of Methodism||United Kingdom|||
|Forest Whitaker||Actor, producer, director||United States|||
|Ellen G. White||Author and Co-founder of the Seventh-day Adventist Church||United States|||
|Zara Whites||Former adult film actress||Netherlands||[nb 28]|
|Norbert Wiener||Mathematician, famous child prodigy, originator of cybernetics||United States|||
|Faye Wong||recording artist, actress||China|||
|S. Fowler Wright||Novelist||United Kingdom||[nb 29]|
|Esmé Wynne-Tyson||Actress and writer||United Kingdom||(pp167–171)|
|Shmuly Yanklowitz||modern Orthodox Rabbi, activist, educator, writer, motivational speaker, social entrepreneur, founder of Uri L'Tzedek||United States|||
|Owain Yeoman||Actor||United Kingdom|||
|Yoon Jin-seo||Actress||South Korea|||
|Marguerite Yourcenar||Author, essayist, poet||France|||
|Zarathustra||Founder of Zoroastrianism||Persia|||
|Ethan Zohn||Soccer player||United States|||
|Rob Zombie||Musician, songwriter, screenwriter, film director, film producer, programmer, music producer||United States|||
|Louisa May Alcott||Novelist||United States||[nb 30]|
|Gillian Anderson||Actress||United States|||
|Christian Bale||Actor||United Kingdom|||
|Amber Benson||Actress||United States|||
|14th Dalai Lama||Monk||Tibet|||
|Prince Fielder||Baseball player||United States|||
|Benjamin Franklin||Politician||United States|||
|Sam Harris||Author and neuroscientist||United States|||
|Josh Hartnett||Actor||United States|||
|Sir Ian McKellen||Actor||United Kingdom|||
|Meat Loaf||Musician||United States|||
|Alyssa Milano||Actress||United States|||
|Dannii Minogue||Actress, singer||United Kingdom|||
|Julia Sawalha||Actress||United Kingdom|||
|Dax Shepard||Actor||United States|||
|Paul Weller||Musician||United Kingdom|||
|Reese Witherspoon||Actress||United States|||
|Hayden Panettiere||Actress||United States|||
Disputed vegetariansThis list includes only those for whom there is a legitimate dispute of the fact and omits those merely rumored of being a vegetarian, regardless of how widely such rumor is spread.
- (Original Dutch) V: "Wie is die man die 's zondags het vlees snijdt?" A: "De tofoe snijdt, want ik ben vegetariër." (Translation into English) Q: "Who is that man preparing the meat on Sunday?" A: "Preparing the tofu, because I am a vegetarian."
- (Original Dutch) "Wat hebben Paul McCartney, Claudia de Breij, Erik Mouthaan en Pia Douwes met elkaar gemeen? [..] Ze zijn vegetariërs..." (Translation into English) "What do Paul McCartney, Claudia de Breij, Erik Mouthaan and Pia Douwes have in common? [..] They're vegetarians..."
- Gregerson(p21) observes: "As Zen roshi, Philip Kapleau points out (see his Cherish All Life), any attempt by Theravadins and others to attribute to the Buddha himself, words permitting the consumption of meat involve a blatant falsification and corruption of sacred texts!"
- "I became a vegetarian in 1976 while watching a deer being butchered."
- "It may be of interest to note, in view of his exuberant vigor and great powers of endurance, that d'Albert is a strict vegetarian"(p196)
- "He ate once a day, after sunset, sometimes once in two days, and often even in four. His food was bread and salt, his drink, water only. Of flesh and wine it is superfluous even to speak, since no such thing was found with the other earnest men.":Paragraph 7
- (Original Dutch) "Presentator Babs Assink vraagt vegetariër en dierenvriend 't Hart of het een angstaanjagend beeld is dat wij het varken tot op het bot verslinden." (Translation into English) "Presenter Babs Assink asks vegetarian and animal friend 't Hart whether or not it is a frightening image that we devour our pigs to the bone."
- "If the FRS knew Hartley as a friend, he would know him to be a mathematician with a special interest in statistics, an amateur violinist, and a vegetarian who saw animals as bearing a "near relation" to humans."
- See also: the Vegetarianism of Adolf Hitler.
- (Original Dutch) "Zijn gedrevenheid moet, zeggen velen, voortkomen uit religieus besef: de vegetariër Koffeman is net als zijn vrouw belijdend Zevende-dagsadventist, een klein protestants kerkgenootschap."' (Translation into English) "His determination has to, some say, come from religieus belief: the vegetarian Koffeman is just like his wife a practising Seventh-day Adventist, a small protestant denomination."
-  "Under Diefenbachs theosophical influence Kupka becomes a strict vegetarian and adopts a regime of daily physical exercises".(p21)
-  "Meets Nazarene artist Karl Diefenbach, who advocates man's return to naure. Moves to Diefenbach's home and participates in communal life-style there, which features vegetarian cuisine, outdoor baths, nude exercising, discussions about spiritual issues, music, and painting."(p408)
- "True it is that Lamartine ate flesh and fish at one period of his life; but we have the authority of Douglas Jerrold's London Journal for assuring our readers that he is again a vegetarian."(p222)
- "Lamartine said that, despite his conventions, in adulthood he conformed to society by eating meat. But contemporaries recall that later in life Lamartine reconverted to vegetarianism after travelling through India, and lived in Paris like a Hindu vegetarian..."(p214)
- "The following season proved a very gloomy one for Mahler. Once more the "city of music" could furnish him no greater material consolation than that of a few piano-pupils. Evenings he would attach himself to a group of young, poverty-stricken Wagnerian enthusiasts and over a cup of coffee help wage the abstract battles of the music-dramatist's political and ethical doctrines. Of these sage utterances one the young musicians adopted unanimously was the proposal to regenerate mankind through strict, vegetarian diet. Perhaps the cost of meat-dishes had as much to do with this resolution as the realization that carnivorous humanity was going to the dogs. [...] Although two years had passed since those unforgettable meatless meetings of the young Wagnerians in Vienna, Mahler was in Olmuetz still a vegetarian, claiming bitterly that he went to the restaurant to starve.":Chapter III
- "Keussler is also already here. A splendid fellow. After the Saturday evening rehearsal I'll be joining him for a vegetarian meal. (10 September 1908)"(p254); "I'll presumably have to assume the role of 'the flesh pots in the land of Egypt'. Ouch! What a metaphor for a husband with vegetarian inclinations! (June 1909)."(p272)
- Jaime de Magalhães Lima (1859–1936) was a Portuguese writer born in Aveiro. He studied Law in the University of Coimbra. He was an admirer of Tolstoy and visited him in Russia. In 1912 he wrote the essay O Vegetarismo e a Moralidade das raças.
- 'O consumo de animais é supérfluo, não há razão para continuar a comê-los quando é tão fácil ser vegetariano', comentou Desidério Murcho, filósofo e vegetariano convicto ['The consumption of animals is unnecessary, there is no reason to continue to eat them when it is so easy to be vegetarian,' said Desiderio Murch, philosopher and vegetarian].
- "I advocate eating nutritious food (I'm a vegetarian), working out, being in top form mentally and physically...".(pp172–173)
- (Original Dutch) "De koeien waren moe en zwak, maar werden toch de vrachtwagens ingeschopt en geslagen. Toen heb ik besloten daar niet mee aan mee te werken en vegetariër te worden." (Translation into English) "The cows were tired and weak and were brutally thrown into the trucks. At that point I decided to become a vegetarian and stop supporting this."
- "Plotinus came from somewhere in Egypt and lived a frugal life. He was celibate and vegetarian and took little in the way of food, drink and sleep."
- "Outro autor muito afamado de nossos dias, Raynal, era igualmente sóbrio. A senhora Marquesa de Alorna, que muitas vezes o teve a jantar, me contou, que nunca o vira comer mais que algumas poucas ervas e fruta, nem beber senão água."(pp281–282)
- (Original Dutch) "Of vlees-vrije stijlvolle godinnen als Marly van der Velden, Alyssa Milano, Isa Hoes, Jorinde Moll, Loretta Schrijver [..]" (Translation into English) "Or meat free stylish goddesses like Marly van der Velden, Alyssa Milano, Isa Hoes, Jorinde Moll, Loretta Schrijver [..]"
- "Sextius thought, that there was food enough for man in the world without shedding blood; and that the taking pleasure in butchering helpless animals, only inspired men with cruelty."
- (Original Dutch) "Of ik zelf ook vegetariër ben? [..] Zelf heb ik dat vlees echter niet meer nodig. Bovendien wil ik graag advocaat voor de dieren zijn en u snapt dat ik dan liever niet mijn eigenklanten opeet." (Translation into English) "Whether or not I am a vegetarian myself? [..] I do not to eat meat anymore. In fact, I want to defend the rights of animals (as a lawyer) and I guess you understand I would rather not eat my own clients"
- "Repin's contemporary the prominent sculptor Paolo Trubetskoi was also sympathetic to theosophical ideas and was a vegetarian and confirmed antivivisectionist".
- (Original Dutch) V: "Waarom ben je vegetariër?" A: "'Ik vind het onzin om vlees te eten terwijl er tegenwoordig genoeg vleesvervangers zijn. Vlees eten is ontzettend zielig voor de diertjes. Ik ben dus zeker al twee jaar vegetariër." (Translation into English) Q: "Why are you a vegetarian?" A: "I think there is no sense in eating meat since there are loads of alternatives available. Eating meat, it's so sad for those poor animals. So I have been a vegetarian for at least two years."
- "[..] or Zara Whites, a former Dutch porn actress. The militant vegetarian made a half-naked appearance at the last 'Salon International de l'Agriculture'"[..]
- He (Wright) did not smoke or eat meat, rarely drank alcohol, and exercised with a rare determination".
- Although Louisa May Alcott is in many famous vegetarians lists, she probably wasn't a vegetarian. It appears that although she was raised a vegetarian by her father Amos Bronson Alcott, she didn't maintain that diet. Vegetarian historian Rynn Berry wrote: "Whereas Amos Bronson Alcott remained a vegetarian for the rest of his life – refusing to consume milk, eggs, fish, meat, and cheese, or wear leather or woollen clothing – his wife and their four daughters were backsliders."(p133)
- "The passage from Gaskell has persuaded many vegetarians that Charlotte Brontë was one of their number. In fact, even as children, the Brontë siblings ate flesh, both according to their father and to the friends. Moreover, the diaries of the Brontë children refer to their meals and their menus, all of which contain a flesh component."(p241)
- Einstein was known to be sympathetic to the vegetarian cause: "Although I have been prevented by outward circumstances from observing a strictly vegetarian diet, I have long been an adherent to the cause in principle." It is also possible that Einstein adopted a vegetarian diet in the final year of his life: a single letter to Hans Muehsam, dated March 30, 1954 states that he was vegetarian; while in a letter to Max Kariel seven months earlier, he said that he was not.
- Although Emerson appears in many un-sourced "Famous Vegetarian" Lists in the internet, he was not a vegetarian: "Once, while Amos Bronson Alcott (a vegetarian) sat at Ralph Waldo Emerson's dinner table, his host discussed the savagery of cannibalism. Emerson was carving a roast as he told his tale. Alcott joked with his nonvegetarian fiend: "But Mr. Emerson, if we are to eat meat at all why should we not eat the best?"(p58)
- "Ford, not a vegetarian, was obsessed with soybeans […]"(p157)
- Some sources state that Jobs was pescetarian rather than vegetarian.
- "Ancient sources sometimes identify Plato as a vegetarian, but none of these were his contemporaries, and it is not clear whether their authors knew for a fact that he ate no meat, or were making an assumption based on the vegetarian passages in The Republic and the Laws and the obvious Pythagorean influence in Plato's philosophy."(p33)
- "Another list named Shakespeare, the economic and social theorist Adam Smith (an advocate but not a practitioner), and that avid hunter Prince Charles as "famous vegetarians." There is no evidence to support the vegetarianism of any one of them – and a great deal to indicate otherwise."(p21)..."Even Shakespeare who was no vegetarian was burlesquing the Pythagorean theory of reincarnation […]"(p4)
- Norm Phelps argues that Socrates was not a vegetarian.(pp32–33)
- And numerous lists of vegetarians include both Henry David Thoreau and Charles Darwin, neither of whom gave up flesh or claimed to do so."
- Mark Twain is on many famous vegetarian lists, however these lists fail to provide evidence to substantiate the claim. Shelley Fisher Fishkin, the editor of The Mark Twain's Book of Animals writes that "Twain was not a vegetarian himself".
- Lilli Lehmann, My Path Through Life (1914): "We stayed to a meal with the Wagners, during which he talked much about vegetarianism that he wanted to adopt entirely, but his physician was opposed to it. After what I know of it to-day from my own experience, I am certain that Wagner, without going to the extremes of vegetarianism, would have found it a means of lengthening his life."
- Mentioned in Dilbert: A Treasury of Sunday Strips
- "Verkiezing van de meest sexy vegtariër 2007 (Vrouwen): Nominaties vrouwen 2007" (in Dutch). Wakker Dier. 2007. Archived from the original on 16 February 2008. Retrieved 26 April 2008.
- Schwartz, R.H., 2001. Judaism and Vegetarianism. New revised edition. Lantern Books.
- The Extra Stuff (13 April 2010). "Everything You Wanted to Know about 'Glee'!". warnerbros.com. Warner Bros. Retrieved 14 January 2011.
- Dianna Agron profile, Marie Claire UK, Retrieved 1 September 2013.
- Iacobbo & Iacobbo, 2004. Vegetarian America: A History, Praeger.
- Akasha Richmond, Hollywood Dish: More Than 150 Delicious, Healthy Recipes from Hollywood's Chef to the Stars, Avery Publishing Group, 2006 p. 114.
- LIFE - Vol.24, N.º 19, 10 Mai 1948, p. 132.
- Glancey, Jonathan (1996) "Glancey, Jonathan (12 April 1996). "Bring me your young, your disenchanted". The Independent (London). ",The Independent, 12 April 1996
- William Alcott, The Vegetable Diet As Sanctioned by Medical Men and By Experience in All Ages, New York, 1859.
- "Quinn Allman's Biography – Discover music, videos, concerts, & pictures at". Last.fm. 21 November 2008. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "About Me".
- Walters, K.S. & Portmess, L., eds., 2001. Religious Vegetarianism from Hesiod to the Dalai Lama, State University of New York Press.
- Miller, Gerri (21 November 2007). "Christina Applegate Poses for Revealing PETA Card". Time Inc. Archived from the original on 29 March 2011. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "Christina Applegate: "Fur: Get Me Not!"". People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. 2007. Archived from the original on 21 April 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "What's the story with Johnny Appleseed?".
- Newell Dwight Hillis, The Quest of John Chapman: The Story of a Forgotten Hero, The Macmillan Company, 1904
- Wheatley, Jane ""I want to be by myself". The Times (London). ", The Times, 19 June 2004
- sueddeutsche.de GmbH, Munich, Germany. "Prominente Vegetarier - Fleischlos glücklich - Bild 4 - Leben". sueddeutsche.de. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "Die Zukunft isst vegetarisch". Vegetarisch-geniessen.com. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Thaila Ayala sobre casaco de pele: "Não vamos vestir a morte" [Thaila Ayala on fur coat: "We will not put on death"] (2011-11-07) (in Portuguese), ANDA. Retrieved 2012-05-15, Archive (2012-05-15), "Archive2". (2012-05-15)
- "Satnam Interview with Amitabh Bachchan". [dead link]
- Lee, Seo-hyun, '송일국-이하늬-윤진서-김효진-배종옥' 공통점은! [Song Il-gook, Lee Han-ui, Yun Jin-seo, Kim Hyo-jin and Bae Jong-ok have something in common] (4 January 2012) (in Korean), Shinmoongo. Retrieved 2012-05-11, Archive (11 May 2012), "Archive2". (11 May 2012)
- "EVA - Nic Balthazar (Interview)".
- "Arnaldo Dias Baptista torna-se embaixador da ANDA e se alia à defesa dos animais". (Portuguese)
- Biography, unknown date. [TV programme] CBS News, A&E Network.
- Roberts, H., 2004. Vegetarian Christian Saints, Anjeli Press.
- Preece, R. ed., 2002 Awe for the Tiger, Love for the Lamb: A Chronicle of Sensibility to Animals. Routledge.
- Cousens, Gabriel (2000). Conscious eating. Berkeley, California: North Atlantic Books. p. 413. ISBN 1-55643-285-2.
- "Spiritual Traditions and Vegetarianism".
- "Jeff Beck interview in The Guitar Magazine".
- Young, Bob (21 June 2007). "Raja's beef? There is none". The Arizona Republic. Retrieved 4 August 2007. [dead link]
- "Model of the Day: Lexi Belle". Hustlerworld.com. 26 April 2010. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Wintour, Patrick "Wintour, Patrick (6 August 2007). "Vegetarian minister faces big task in winning farmers' trust". The Guardian (London). ", The Guardian, 6 August 2007
- "J.D. Beresford, who died early this year at the age of seventy-four, was for the last eight years of his life, a confirmed vegetarian." Review of "The Gift" by J.D. Beresford and Esmé Wynne-Tyson, The Vegetarian News magazine, Winter 1947.
- "Elizabeth Berkley: The Original Lettuce Lady".
- Berry, R., 2003. Famous Vegetarians, Pythagorean Publishers.
- "PETA UK: Traci Bingham Gets to the Meat of the Matter". [dead link]
- The Washington Post (December 15, 2000). "Navy's Chief of Chaplains' Concerns Include the Worldly, as Well as Divine". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- Black, Barry (June 22, 2007). "Chaplain Barry Black Extended Interview". Religion & Ethics Newsweekly. Interview with Kim Lawton (PBS). Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- "Scoop: TV Star Goes Green for PETA's Ad Campaign".
- Toorn-Van Dam, Martine van den, 1970. De waarheid over het vegetarisme. 3rd ed. Emmen, Netherlands: Stichting De Ark.
- "Dancing With the (Compassionate) Stars". , PETA, 31 August 2010.
- "Vegetarian diets, when properly planned, provide all the nutrients you need". Citizen-times.com. Retrieved 25 December 2008.
- Street Fight, 2005. [Film] Directed by Marshall Curry. Marshall Curry Productions LLC.
- Waxman, Olivia (28 June 2013). "Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard Are PETA’s Sexiest Celebrity Vegetarians". Time. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- C. W. Leadbeater, Vegetarianism and Occultism, 1913, p. 24-25.
- "Kjente og berømte vegetarianere". Vegetar.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010. [dead link]
- Neefjes, Carine (23 October 2006). "Wouter Bos: De man die zondags tofoe snijdt" (in Dutch). wouterbos.nl. Retrieved 16 April 2008. [dead link]
- "Profile: Jonathan "Jock" Boyer". Bicycling (bicycling.com). 2 February 2009. Retrieved 19 February 2010. [dead link][dead link]
- Gelder, Geertemarie de (21 November 2005). "Het zangzaad van Coldplay" (in Dutch). Kennislink. Retrieved 21 April 2008.
- "peta.de about Eva Briegel's participation in their Go Veggie campaign, 2006". (in German)
- "Exclusive Interview: Christie Brinkley Details The Eating Plan That Makes Her Look Great". Shape (The American Media, Inc). March 2012. Retrieved 20 March 2012.
- de Britto, Fernando Pereira (brother of John de Brito) (1852) . Historia do nascimento, vida e martyrio do Beato João de Britto da Companhia de Jesus, Martyr da Asia, e protomartyr da missâo do Maduré [History of the birth, life and martyrdom of Blessed John de Britto of the Society of Jesus, Martyr of Asia, and Protomartyr of the Madura Mission] (in Portuguese) (2nd ed.). Lisbon: A. S. Monteiro. ISBN 978-1-142-04284-4. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "Interview transcript". Enough Rope with Andrew Denton. 18 July 2005.
- "House of Lords Debate: Live Food Amimals for Slaughter". Hansard. 5 397. cc387. 7 December 1978. Retrieved 25 August 2014. "Lord BROCKWAY: My Lords, perhaps I should begin by declaring an interest. I am a vegetarian and I have been so for 70 years..."
- Preece, Rod (2011). Animal Sensibility and Inclusive Justice in the Age of Bernard Shaw. UBC Press. p. 188. ISBN 0-7748-2111-6. "Several Labour Party members of Parliament...espoused both “bread and cheese” socialism and vegetarianism, when Independent Labour and Labour had at least formally parted ways. Foremost among them was the pacifist Fenner Brockway..."
- "He's HAGAR The Horribly Nice Guy; Cartoonist Chris is set to make his hero a TV superstar". Retrieved 30 January 2012
- Phelps, N., 2007. The Longest Struggle: Animal Advocacy from Pythagoras to PETA, Lantern Books.
- Gregerson, J., 1994. Vegetarianism: A History, Jain Publishing Company.
- Roberts, H., 2006. The Vegetarian Philosophy of Índia, Anjeli Press.
- "Internationale sexy-peta verkiezing: chris martin en carrie underwood" (in Dutch). Wakker dier. 20 March 2006. Retrieved 20 April 2008. [dead link]
- Blay, Josep (2007) Lo Demas es silencio, Plaza & Janes. ISBN 978-84-01-30551-1
- The Vegetarian Resource Group. "Vegetarianism and Tennis: A Natural Partnership". Retrieved 5 March 2008.
- Tanith, Carey "MOTHERING HEIGHTS; Kate Bush has a baby but lives like a virtual recluse", Daily Mirror, 17 July 2000
- "Lunching with Lauren Bush at Vegetarian Restaurant Candle 79". Hearst Communication, Inc. 18 May 2011. Archived from the original on 22 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Lauren Bush Fighting American Childhood Obesity and World Hunger at the Same Time". FOX News Network, LLC. 6 August 2010. Archived from the original on 12 August 2010. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "PETA names presidential niece Lauren Bush "sexiest vegetarian alive"". Chicago Tribune. 16 July 2003. Archived from the original on 22 April 2012. Retrieved 22 April 2012.
- "Peta's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrities of 2011 - Past Winners". 2011. Archived from the original on 22 April 2012
- "If I ruled the world - Julia Carling, television presenter". www.scotsman.com. 4 October 2004. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Spencer, C., 2002. Vegetarianism: A History, Four Walls Eight Windows.
- P. Carton, La Vie saine, 190 Commentaires sur les Vers d'Or des Pythagoriciens, 1918; P. Carton, Traité de médecine, d'alimentation et d'hygiène naturistes, 1920; P. Carton, Le Naturisme dans Sénèque, 1922, etc.
- Morrow, Terry (23 June 2007). "Voice of Homer Simpson leads his own, simple life". The Albuquerque Tribune (Scripps Howard News Service). Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- "吃素，很酷，新的潮流" (in Traditional Chinese). Hong Kong: "茹素" Magazine (Club O, Hong Kong Vegetarian Society. April 2008. Retrieved 12 February 2010.
- (Chinese); Translated Version
- Juddery, Mark. "The World on His Shoulders - The Incredible Strength of Sri Chinmoy". [dead link], The Australian Vegetarian Society, 21 April 2007.
- "The Academy Is' Michael Guy Chislett". Nicole Nuss, peta2. Retrieved 10 November 2008.
- McCartney, Jenny "McCartney, Jenny (10 March 2002). "Julie Christie has done us no favours". The Daily Telegraph (London). ", Daily Telegraph, 10 March 2002
- Wilkes, D., 2002. I'm losing my memory says Julie Christie. Mail Online, [internet] 22 April. Available at "http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-110766/Im-losing-memory-says-Julie-Christie.html". Daily Mail (London). 18 April 2014. [. Retrieved 24 July 2009]
- ""A Life in the Day: Alexa Chung". The Times (London). ", Sunday Times, 12 October 2008. Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- Vuurboom, Jeroen (22 December 2000). "DE NEDERLANDSE VEGETARIËRSBOND" (in Dutch). Jeroen Vuurbom on XS4all.nl. Retrieved 28 April 2008.
- Sue Coe, Dead Meat, Four Walls Eight Windows, 1996.
- Coetzee, J.,M., 2007. Diary of a Bad Year, Penguin Books.
- "Animals can't speak for themselves - it's up to us to do it, by J. M. Coetzee". The Age (Melbourne). 22 February 2007.
- Richard Schwartz, Ph.D. (ed.), "Rabbinic Teachings on Vegetarianism".
- Lewis Porter, John Coltrane: His Life and Music, The University of Michigan Press, p. 253-254, 274.
- Condell, Pat. "Godless and Meatless". patcondell.net. Retrieved 16 March 2009. [dead link]
- Rainey, Lee Dian (2010). Confucius & Confucianism: the essentials. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. p. 15. ISBN 978-1-4051-8841-8.
- Rose, Stewart D. (2007). The Vegetarian Solution: Your Answer to Cancer, Heart Disease, Global Warming, and More. Book Publishing Company. p. 123. ISBN 978-1-57067-205-7.
- Joanne, By (25 April 2006). "Candy girl | thetelegraph.com.au". Dailytelegraph.com.au. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Mensonides, Frans (1 October 2006). "Kannibalisme op glijdende schaal; Eetgeenvlees van Hugo Brandt Corstius" (in Dutch). Fransmensonides.nl. Retrieved 3 May 2008.
- Paumgarten, Nick (8 November 2010). "Brilliant Mistake: Elvis Costello's boundless career". The New Yorker (Condé Nast): 48–59. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- Stuart, T. 2006. "The Bloodless Revolution", W. W. Norton & Company.
- Marr, Andrew (2009). A History of Modern Britain. Pan Macmillan. p. 19. ISBN 0-330-51329-X. "Sir Stafford Cripps was an intensely religious vegetarian, brilliant lawyer and sometime Marxist"
- Preece, Rod (2011). Animal Sensibility and Inclusive Justice in the Age of Bernard Shaw. UBC Press. p. 189. ISBN 0-7748-2111-6. "another Labour minister Sir Stafford Cripps, a renegade from the Conservative Party, was also a vegetarian, but, at least in the first instance, it was predicated on health grounds..."
- The Vegetarian (Autumn 1994). Obituary – Peter Cushing OBE. Vegetarian Society. Archived from the original on 5 December 1998. Retrieved 6 August 2010.
- "Interview with PETA2".
- "Interview with Johnny Davis in The Guardian". London. 26 October 2006.
- "PETA's Sexiest Vegetarian Winners Cause Global Warming". [dead link]
- Weitzmann, C. F. 1897. A History of Pianoforte-playing and Pianoforte-literature. New York.
- "Jeru the Damaja – Out There (interview)". [dead link]
- Williams, H., 2003. The Ethics of Diet : A Catena of Authorities Deprecatory of the Practice of Flesh-eating, University of Illinois Press.
- Jon Wynne-Tyson (comp.), The Extended Circle: A Dictionary of Human Thought, Centaur Press, London, 2009, p. 77.
- "Verkiezing van de meest sexy vegetariër 2007 (vrouwen)" (in Dutch). Wakker dier. Retrieved 19 April 2008. [dead link]
- "Peter Dinklage: The 'Station Agent' With a Heart of Gold". Retrieved 11 September 2007.
- "peta2 // Out There // The World's Sexiest Vegetarians Are ...".
- "Jay McGuiness and Eliza Doolittle voted sexiest vegetarians!". Hearst Magazines UK. 28 June 2011. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Meet the 2011 Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity Winners". People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Foundation. 2011. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Eliza Doolittle And Jay Mcguiness Sexiest Vegetarians". First Active Media Ltd. 11 July 2011. Archived from the original on 19 April 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Pavey, Sasha, "David D'Or interview; WOMADelaide Festival 2008, SBS World View Program - 6/13/08[dead link]
- Berry, Rhyn (1993). The New Vegetarians. Pythagorean Publishers.
- Gons, Piet Hein (10 February 2008). "Drijver-seat" (in Dutch). MijnNL.nl. Retrieved 27 April 2008. [dead link][dead link]
- "Michael Clarke Duncan: 'I Am a Vegetarian'". PETA.org. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- Isadora Duncan, My Life", W. W. Norton & Co., 1996, pp. 40, 130, 221
- Vuurboom, Jeroen (2 September 2000). "FREDERIK VAN EEDEN" (in Dutch). Jeroen Vuurbom on XS4all.nl. Retrieved 28 April 2008.
- "Vegan CEO's 'Vegeteria' Sends a Meatless Message". Los Angeles Times. 1 November 2004. , Los Angeles Times, 1 November 2004.
- "Such early traumas and dislocations, which included experiences with poverty and academic anti-Semitism at Columbia, often rendered Endore physically ill...They also appear to have spawned in him (in addition to a strict vegetarian diet) a deep sensitivity to human suffering..." *"Guy Endore and the Ironies of Political Repression" by Joseph G. Ramsey The Minnesota Review, Spring/Summer 2008. Retrieved 5th April 2014.
- "Selma Ergeç Elle dergisini poz verdi — DHA Doğan Haber Ajansı".
- Falcon, Mike (4 November 2002). "Kevin Eubanks beefs up without meat". USA Today. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Gail Davis, Vegetarian Food for Thought: Quotations & Inspiration, NewSage Press, 1999
- Watch "The Two Coreys" this Sunday (27 July 2007), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Retrieved 2012-05-11, Archive (11 May 2012), Archive2 (11 May 2012)
- Chareunsy, Don, Corey Feldman brings Lost Boys Ball, Truth Movement to House of Blues (2010-10-21), Las Vegas Weekly. Retrieved 2012-05-11, Archive (2012-05-11), Archive2 (2012-05-11)
- Reynolds, Brandy, Look To The Stars Exclusive: An Interview With Corey Feldman (2009-03-24), Look To The Stars. Retrieved 2012-05-11, Archive (2012-05-11), "Archive2". Archived from the original on 2009-05-31. (2009-05-31)
- Rynn Berry, The Vegetarians, Autumn Press, 1979, pp. 29-44.
- Alcott, W.A., 1869. Vegetable Diet: As Sanctioned by Medical Men and by Experience in All Ages
- "Vegging Out With Vanessa Ferlito".
- Robin Kirkpatrick, The European Renaissance, 1400-1600, 2002, p. 88.
- "The Knack (band's website), Oct. 7, 2008". [dead link]
- "Jake Shields, Mac Danzig, Jon Fitch, Aaron Simpson Vicious UFC Vegetarians". Vegetarian Star. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "Jerome Flynn - Viva! Vegetarians International Voice for Animals". Viva.org. Retrieved 21 April 2013. [dead link]
- "GoVeg - An Interview with Jonathan Safran Foer".
- "Meet Alina Foley of 'The Spy Next Door'". PETAKids.com. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- D. Ford, Worth More than a Million (Auburn, Cal.: Desmond Ford Publications, 1987).
- "Reflections On Adventism: An Interview With Dr. Desmond Ford". by Adventist Today FORUM. Retrieved 25 October 2007.
- "INXS' J.D. Fortune Wants You to Switch to Vegetarianism".
- Kevin Eubanks. "Personals". Insoul Music LLC. Retrieved 27 January 2009. [dead link][dead link]
- "See through the lies the meat industry feeds you". [dead link]
- BBC - Lily Allen and Friends
- "Sadie Frost Veggie Testemonial".
- [dead link][dead link][dead link]
- Roberts, Holly Harlayne, Gandhi the Vegetarian: Gandhi's Message of Non-Violence, Non-Abundance & Merciful Living Anjeli Press (2007) ISBN 0-9754844-9-4
- Gandhi, Mohandas Karamchand (Mahatma) The Moral Basis of Vegetarianism 20 November 1931 speech, reproduced in Southern Cross Review, Volume 22.
- "Gao Yuanyuan Touts the Benefits of Going Vegetarian as PETA's Newest Lettuce Lady". 8 June 2011.
- Frommer's Barcelona, 2nd Edition. Peter Stone (2007). ISBN 978-0-470-09692-5
- "Philip Glass". Nndb.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Johnston, Sheila. Johnston, Sheila (3 March 2007). "Filmmakers on film: Bobcat Goldthwait". The Daily Telegraph (London). , Telegraph Media Group, 3 March 2007.
- Lewis Gompertz, Peter Singer (ed.), Moral Inquiries on the Situation of Man and of Brutes, Open Gate Press, 1992.
- ISTOÉ Independente - Comportamento
- America Unchained, 2007. [Film] Directed by Andy Devonshire and Stef. Wagstaffe. UK: Avalon Television.
- Angela Gossow || Official Site and Blog » FAQ's[dead link]
- "Angela Nathalie Gossow — Metal Storm". Metalstorm.ee. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- McCoy, Seth (26 August 2011). "Styx still loving life on the road". Boston Music Spotlight. Archived from the original on 21 April 2012. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "Interview With Lawrence Gowan Of Styx". 25 August 2011. Archived from the original on 21 April 2012
- Crook, E., 2006. Vegetarianism in Australia – 1788 to 1948: a cultural and social history, The Huntingdon Press.
- nbsp;– Empedokles "Sexy Quiz" (in Dutch). Wakker Dier. 2007. Archived from the original on 22 December 2007. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
- "Life of St. Antony".
- Amanda Griffin is PH's sexiest vegetarian ABS CBN News, 19 June 2013. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Ketchup voor gevorderden" (in Dutch). Ex'tent Green Venture Capital. 2008. Retrieved 28 April 2008.
- "Vegetarians International Voice for Animals - Star Supporters". Viva!. Retrieved 3 February 2012. [dead link]
- "Stars Shine for PETA in the Philippines".
- Amason, Jessica (23 July 2010). "GZA: Lyrical Genius and the Wu-Tang Clan's Raw Food Guru". eater.com. Eater National. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Ăn chay, đối diện với bóng tối showbiz". Tienphong Online. 27 May 2012. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Kochen mit Alexander Hacke". , 21 June 2005, intro.de (in German)
- Petkovich, Anthony (2002). The X Factory: Inside the American Hardcore Film Industry b (2nd ed.). Critical Vision. pp. 137–141. ISBN 1-900486-24-5.
- Otoman Zar-Adusht Ha'nish, Mazdazan Dietetics and Cookery Book, 1913, p. 196-204.
- "La veo en blanco y negro pero la escucho en color",La Vanguardia, 10 July 2010[dead link]
- Selvin, Joel "Selvin, Joel (30 November 2001). "George Harrison dies after long fight with cancer". The San Francisco Chronicle. ", San Francisco Chronicle, 20 November 2001
- "Vragen aan Lenie" (in Dutch). Zeehondercrèche. 17 February 2007. Retrieved 25 April 2008. [dead link]
- Bos, Miriam (25 November 2007). "Who's Next 187: Maarten 't Hart" (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad. Retrieved 18 April 2008.
- Preece, R., 2009. Sins of the Flesh: A History of Ethical Vegetarian Thought, University of British Columbia Press.
- "Standford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, David Hartley".
- Sadeq Hedayat, Favayed-e Giyahkhari (The Advantages of Vegetarianism), 1927.
- "De veganist is het slechte geweten van de vegetariër — Interview met Martin van Hees" (in Dutch). Ongehoord — actiegroep voor dierenwelzijn on Geocities.com. Archived from the original on 26 October 2009. Retrieved 1 May 2008.
- "Toekenningen Vici 2003" (in Dutch). NWO (Dutch). Retrieved 1 May 2008.
- Animal Rights History- Hesiod>[dead link]
- Manvell, Roger; Fraenkel, Heinrich (1971). Hess: A Biography. London: Granada. ISBN 0-261-63246-9. [page needed]
- "Missy Higgins Interview — Video". Metacafe.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Sams, Christine (12 March 2006). "http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/food-fight-sam-takes-on-missy/2006/03/11/1141701737149.html". The Age (Melbourne). Theage.com. Retrieved 05-17-07
- Wilson, Bee (9 October 1988). "Mein Diat — Adolf Hitler's diet". New Statesman. Archived from the original on 21 March 2005. Retrieved 18 September 2007.
- Phayre, Ignatius (November 1938). "Hitler's Mountain Home". Homes & Gardens. pp. 193–195.
- Hitler, A., & Cameron, Norman (2000). Hitler's Table Talk. Enigma Books. ISBN 1-929631-05-7
- Goebbels, Joseph; Louis P. Lochner (trans.) (1993). The Goebbels Diaries. Charter Books. p. 679. ISBN 0-441-29550-9. Cite uses deprecated parameters (help)
- Hitler, Adolph; Hugh Trevor-Roper (trans.) (2000). "Hitler's Table Talk: 1941-1944". Section 66 (Enigma Books). ISBN 1-929631-05-7. Cite uses deprecated parameters (help)
- Degrelle, Léon. "The Enigma of Hitler". "Friends of Léon Degrelle" Cultural Association. Retrieved 18 September 2007. [dead link]
- "Celebrity 'Yummy Mummies' Keep Their Tiny Tummies With a Vegetarian Diet!". [dead link]
- "Veg -> veggo". jensholm.se. Retrieved 7 December 2008.
- Joseph Ritson, An essay on abstinence from animal food, as a moral duty, 1802, p. 201; William A. Alcott, Vegetable diet: as sanctioned by medical men, and by experience in all ages: including a system of vegetable cookery, 1853, p. 206-207; 252-253.
- "Verkiezing van de meest sexy vegetariër 2007 (mannen)" (in Dutch). Wakker dier. Archived from the original on 20 March 2008. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- "Huxley...lived a simple life and helped with the housework.He and Maria ate a plain vegetarian diet with no salt, and Huxley, when not writing, worked in the garden." Dana Sawyer, Aldous Huxley: A Biography. The Crossroad Publishing Company, 2002 ISBN 0824519876, (p.118)
- "On the Pythagorean Life by Iamblichus".
- "The 2008 World's Sexiest Vegetarians Are... //Out There // peta2".
- "Wise Guys Go Vegetarian". , People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, 7 October 2010.
- "150 volksvertegenwoordigers: EWOUT IRRGANG" (in Dutch). Stichting Per Definitie. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- Reid Jamieson, 2004. Vegetable-powered music.... [Online] Official Website, Reid's Veggie Page. Available at http://www.reidjamieson.com/veg/. [. Retrieved 2 April 2009].[dead link]
- Brown Eyed Girls' JEA becomes a vegetarian (26 January 2012), Korea.com Communications Co Ltd. Retrieved 2012-05-10, Archive (10 May 2012), "Archive2". (10 May 2012)
- Brown Eyed Girls' Jea reveals she's become a vegetarian (26 January 2012), 6Theory Media LLC. Retrieved 2012-05-10, Archive (10 May 2012), "Archive2". (10 May 2012)
- Brown Eyed Girls' Jea Turns Vegetarian (26 January 2012), Soompi Media LLC. Retrieved 2012-05-10, Archive (10 May 2012), "Archive2". (10 May 2012)
- "Joan Jett Promotes Vegetarianism".
- "Atletas Vegetarianos". (Portuguese)
- Heart to Heart with Die Antwoord (14 February 2012). 
- Rodas, CelesteK (7 March 2014). "Juanes: I Just Want to Find Balance in My Life". Que Rica Vida. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
- Brod, M., 1995. Franz Kafka: A Biography, Da Capo Press Inc., p. 74, 109, 206
- "Antonie kamerling en marly van der velden meest sexy vegetariërs" (in Dutch). Wakker dier. 20 March 2006. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- Jha, Subhash K (20 June 2006). "Kareena turns vegetarian". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 November 2007.
- Ashraf, Syed Firdaus. "Get Ahead Living: Shahid Kapur: It is my life!". Rediff.com. Retrieved 18 October 2007.
- Galbraith, Fiona, Fighting for animals, Vegetarians International Voice for Animals. Retrieved 2012-05-08, Archive (8 May 2012), "Archive2". Archived from the original on 2009-02-05. (5 February 2009)
- The 2009 World's Sexiest Vegetarians Are..., People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Retrieved 2012-05-09, Archive (9 May 2012), "Archive2". Archived from the original on 2009-12-01. (1 December 2009)
- "Interview with raw chef Matthew Kenney", Yogitimes.com, Accessed 31 January 2014
- Escudero, Nicki (20 July 2010). "Kesha Comes to Marquee Theatre; Talks Roadkill, Glitter and 'SNL'". Phoenix New Times, LLC. Archived from the original on 2 December 2010. Retrieved 21 April 2012.
- "peta2 // Out There // Masta Killa Says, 'Go Veg for Life'".
- Anna Bonus Kingsford, The Perfect Way in Diet, BiblioBazaar, 2008; Edward Maitland and Anna Bonus Kingsford, Addresses and Essays on Vegetarianism, Kessinger Publishing Co., 1998.
- "Veertiende editie Bep van Klaveren Memorial in teken kroonjaar bokser" (in Dutch). IVA Groep. 12 February 2007. Retrieved 27 April 2008.
- "Una impactante campaña conciencia en Argentina contra el uso de pieles" (in Spanish). Spain: 20minutos. 10 June 2008. Retrieved 9 April 2010.
- "Portret Niko Koffeman in Volkskrant" (in Dutch). Tweevoeter.nl. 16 December 2005. Retrieved 21 April 2008. [dead link]
- "Elseviers top-50 van vrouwen die de twintigste eeuw maakten" (in Dutch). Allesopeenrij.nl. 2008. Retrieved 24 April 2008. [dead link]
- "K-OS, PETA2 Interview". [dead link]
- "PETA2, K-OS Theory".
- Mary Lutyens, The life and death of Krishnamurti, 2003, p. 30.
- Leaves´Eyes. Fourteeng.net. Retrieved on 2012-08-05.
- See his lyrics: Dope Beat, My Philosophy, "Beef".
- Leaves´Eyes. Fourteeng.net. Retrieved on 2012-08-05.
- "150 volksvertegenwoordigers: ATTJE KUIKEN" (in Dutch). Stichting Per Definitie. Retrieved 20 April 2008. [dead link]
- "Olympian Sushil Kumar Says, 'Go Vegetarian'".
- Andel, J. & Kosinski, D., 1997. Painting the universe: František Kupka, pioneer in abstraction.
- The Spiritual in art: abstract painting 1890-1985, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1987.
- "Sexy vegetarianere — VG Nett om Pamela Anderson". . Vg.no. 25 February 2003. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "Mon Laferte biography".
- "PETA's Sexy 'Bank On Your Health, Go Vegetarian' Ad". [dead link]
- McEnery, Thornton (28 June 2011). "10 Things You Should Know About Christine Lagarde, The Next Director Of The IMF". Business Insider. Retrieved 30 June 2011.
- Stuart, T., 2007. The Bloodless Revolution, W.W. Norton & Company.
- William A. Alcott, Vegetable Diet, 1859, p. 127.
- Cloris Leachman Wears Nothing But Lettuce Leaves! US Weekly, 31 March 2009[dead link]
- C. W. Leadbeater, Vegetarianism and Occultism, 1913.
- "Yihyori been promoting beef, and now 'Vegetarian Celebrity of the Year'". OhmyNews (in Korean). 4 January 2012. Archived from the original on 12 May 2012. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Jeon, Su-mi (26 May 2012). "Honey Lee Became a Vegetarian for Her Brother". enewsWorld. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- vegetarianismo.com.br - Rita Lee
- "Peter Brang, Even without Pineapples".
- Iley, Chrissy. "The transformation of Leona Lewis". The Times (London). The Times. 14 October 2007. Retrieved 24 July 2008.
- "Link". [dead link]
- World Entertainment News Network Ltd., 2008. Anthony Kiedis and Leona Lewis Voted Sexiest Vegetarians. [Online] WENN, Hollywood.com, Celebrities, 19 Jun Available at . [. Retrieved 5 April 2009].
- "Richard Linklater Interview - Food Fighter".
- Brooks, Xan (2 April 2007). "Guardian.com, 'I've never been in the firing line like this before'". The Guardian (London).
- "Director Richard Linklater's PETA Interview".
- "Animal Rights Day 2008". Animalliberationfront.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "Eneko Llanos: "Pensé que el Ironman no era lo mío"". (Spanish)
- "Lords of metal Interview". lordsofmetal.nl. Retrieved 1 January 2011.
- Gobell, Lisa. The House in the Sun, Ashgrove Press, 1986. ISBN 0-906798-65-5
- Heffernan, Virginia (19 May 2007). "Singer at the End of Time: The Video Diary of Lisa Lopes". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- Dorantes, David (1 October 2008). "César López, historia de un Vampiro vegetariano". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 31 July 2011. [dead link]
- Wang, Tao (16 February 2011). "陆游诗中话养生 [Lu You discusses long life through poems]". Zhongguo Laorenbao. Retrieved 10 January 2013. [dead link]
- Osborn. Michael (2009) "Osborn, Michael (8 May 2009). "Profile: Joanna Lumley". BBC News. ", BBC
- "Francisco Madero Biography". [dead link]
- Anandhan Subbiah (2007). "Madhavan and PETA". Anandhansubbiah.com. Retrieved 27 July 2007.
- Sharp, Annette (Oct 12, 2011). "Why leather seats in his luxury car made Tobey Maguire's skin crawl". The Daily Telegraph. Australia. Retrieved April 22, 2013.
- "Tobey Maguire Interview". Archived from the original on 12 December 2007.
- Wiseman, E., 2007. Are you strictly wheat and two veg .... The Observer, [internet] 29 April. Available at http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2007/apr/29/foodanddrink1 [. Retrieved 12 February 2010]. Archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5nUGjLTKD
- Gabriel Engel, "Gustav Mahler, Song Symphonist".
- Gustav Mahler: Letters To His Wife, edited by Henry-Louis de La Grange and Gunther Weiss, Cornell University Press, 2004
- O Vegetarismo e a Moralidade das raças – by Jaime de Magalhães Lima[dead link]
- Jolanta Bagurskienė (3 September 2008). "A.Mamontovas: "Žmonės, kurie nevalgo mėsos, visada yra pakilesni" / Skonis /". Lrytas.lt. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "Meniu.Lt". Meniu.Lt. Retrieved 19 February 2010. [dead link]
- "Method Man, Redman Give Tips For Vegetarians, Good Skin Care". Vegetarian Star. 16 June 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- Shircore,Ian (2012). Conspiracy! 49 Reasons to Doubt, 50 Reasons to Believe. New York: John Blake Publishing. ISBN 9781857827408.
- "Sexy Jodie Marsh Does Her Part for Animals".
- "Chris Martin named world's sexiest vegetarian". The Sydney Morning Herald. 23 July 2005. Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- Kretzer,Michelle (31 March 2013). Ricky Martin is Livin' la Vida Vegetarian. PETA. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- Trostle, Patricia (2008). "Worlds Sexiest Vegetarians of 2008". PETA. Retrieved 20 October 2010.
- "Meet the 2011 Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity Winners! | Features". PETA.org.uk. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- "Mojo Mathers". , Green Party
- "Alicia Mayer Challenges Men to 'Get It Up'".
- Linda McCartney, by Danny Fields, Time Warner Paperbacks, 1 February 2001, ISBN 0-7515-2985-0
- "'Bambi' was cruel". BBC News. 12 December 2005. bbb.co.uk 12 December 2005. Retrieved 29 January 2007
- "McCartney vows to keep animal rights torch alight". BBC News. 5 August 1998. bbc.co.uk - 5 August 1998. Retrieved 29 January 2007
- "Babe actor arrested after protest", BBC News, 4 July 2001, passim. ("link". BBC News. 4 July 2001. )
- Knapton, S., 2008. Stella McCartney orders fur advert dropped. [Online] Telegraph, Celebrities, 10 Aug Available at Knapton, Sarah (10 August 2008). "http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebritynews/2536266/Stella-McCartney-orders-fur-advert-dropped.html". The Daily Telegraph (London). .[. Retrieved 7 April 2009].
- Ann, Jooley (27 April 2007). "Interviews Rue McClanahan". Austinist. Retrieved 19 February 2010. [dead link]
- McMillan-Scott, Edward (12 March 2009). "Why I'm challenging Boris to go meat-free". The Guardian (London).
- Hall, A., 2007. World's most infamous cannibal becomes a vegetarian. [Online] Mail Online, News, 20 Nov Available at "http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-495132/Worlds-infamous-cannibal-vegetarian.html". Daily Mail (London). 20 November 2007. . [. Retrieved 11 April 2009].
- Vegetarianos famosos - luisamellsite - XPG
- DeSilver, Drew (March 1989). "One in 10,000". Vegetarian Times. p. 56. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- From tea-seller to India's top job: The rise of Narendra Modi - PARTH M.N., Los Angeles Times 16.05.2014
- "The Tonight Show, 7 December 2011". NBC TV. [dead link]
- "Gabrielle Miller - Turning the Right Corner". vistamagonline.com. Archived from "the original". [dead link] on 9 February 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2007.
- Cooper, Tim ""Crispian Mills: Big mouth strikes again". The Independent (London). 24 September 2007. ", The Independent, 24 September 2007
- Scott, C., 2004. Best of Times, Worst of Times: Hayley Mills. [Online] Timesonline, Life and Style, 30 May. Available at "http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/article428601.ece". The Times (London). .[. Retrieved 7 April 2009].
- Christiane L. Joost-Gaugier, Pythaghoras and Renaissance Europe: Finding Heaven, Cambridge University Press, 2009, p. 92.
- "A Veggie Testimonial From Shanna Moakler!".
- "Gandhi’s decisive South African 1913 campaign: a personal perspective from the letters of Betty Molteno".
- "Sophie Monk Poses Nude to Promote Vegetarianism".
- "Obituaries: Theodore Monod". The Daily Telegraph (London). 24 November 2000.
- "Exclusive: Ethan Zohn Fights C Word With V Word".
- "The Vegetarian Athletes". Jivdaya.org. Retrieved 19 February 2010. [dead link]
- Carroll, Rory (25 October 2009). "Former guerrilla José Mujica favourite in Uruguay election". The Guardian (London). , The Guardian, 25 October 2009
- "Colóquio sobre Ética e a Defesa dos Animais" [Colloquium on Ethics and the Defense of Animals] (in Portuguese). Centro Vegetariano (Portuguese). 30 November 1999. Retrieved 15 June 2011.
- "The 2008 World's Sexiest Vegetarians Are... // Out There // peta2". Peta2.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Crewe, Charity. "The Butcher Boy", Irish Tatler. February 2004.
- "peta2 // Out There // Havok and Bell: World's Sexiest Vegetarians for 2007!". [dead link]
- You Won't Catch MURS at McDonald's! (19 June 2009), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Retrieved 2012-05-11, Archive (11 May 2012), Archive2 (11 May 2012)
- "Xavas und ihr Erfolg". Main-Post. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Weeds Star Kevin Nealon's Vegetarian Testimonial". Go Veg. Retrieved 22 May 2008.
- "Europena Vegetarian Union – Helen Nearing".
- "Nightwish — the official website". Retrieved 29 March 2009. [dead link]
- "Watch: Manchester United legend Phil Neville gives meat the red card in new PETA video". Manchester Evening News.
- Henry Stephens Salt, Animals' Rights Considered in Relation to Social Progress Also an Essay on Vivisection in America, Macmillan & Co., 1894, pp. 117-119.
- "'Playmate of the Year' Hawks (Faux) Hot Dogs".
- 'Historia do nascimento, vida e martyrio do Beato João de Britto', por Fernando Pereira de Britto, Lisboa, segunda edição, 1852, p. 37-39
- Arnold, Gina (1993). Route 666: On the Road to Nirvana. St Martins Pr. ISBN 0-312-09376-4.
- Seiro, Arno; Jari Väliverronen (22 June 2007). "HS etsii Suomen merkittävintä urheilusaavutusta". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish). Retrieved 14 May 2008.
- "Italian royalty, Lithuania reality show host spice up Euro poll". [dead link], AFP, 3 June 2009
- José Oiticica, Ação direta : meio século de pregação libertária. Selecção, Introdução e Notas de Roberto das Neves. Rio de Janeiro : Editora Germinal, 1970, pp. 9-10.
- "Instituto Camões: Alexandre O'Neill, por Maria Antónia Oliveira". [dead link] (Portuguese)
- "Maja Ostaszewska promuje wegetarianizm w ulotce akcji Viva" (in Polish). Poland: Viva.org.pl. Retrieved 16 December 2010. [dead link]
- "Supermodel Carré Otis Wants You to Cast Fish Out of Your Kitchen". [dead link]
- "150 volksvertegenwoordigers: ESTHER OUWEHAND" (in Dutch). Stichting Per Definitie. 2007. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Interview with Cem Özdemir from the German Vegetarierbund (Vegetarian association)".
- Charles Walter Forward in Fifty Years of Food Reform: A History of the Vegetarian Movement in England, 1898, pp. 114-116.
- Harvey, Chris (26 June 2008). "Monty Panesar: star turn". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Begum, MUMTAJ (18 January 2008). Pint-sized power. The Star. Retrieved 8 February 2008. [dead link]
- "Cosmopolitan interview".
- "SoyStache interview with actress Alexandra Paul".
- Freydkin, Donna (29 July 2004). "Penn and Cho go to NYC's Pop Burger". USA Today (USA Today). Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- THE LIFE AND WORK OF PORPHYRY[dead link]
- Animal Rights History - Plotinus[dead link]
- "The Animal Rights Library – On the".
- Excerpts from various writings: Animal Rights History – Alexander Pope[dead link]
- "Natalie Portman Drops Being Vegan". Vegetarian Star. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 12 April 2011.
- "John Cowper has been a vegetarian for many years..."Oloff De Wet and John Cowper Powys, A Visit To John Cowper Powys. London : Village Press, 1974. ISBN 0904247252 (p. 18)
- Hey, Stan (2006) "Jimmy Pursey: Cup winner", The Independent, 10 June 2006[dead link]
- Animal Rights History - Pythagoras[dead link]
- "Nearly Nude Maggie Q Says, 'Spice Up Your Life—Go Vegetarian'".
- released by Bruce C. Berndt, Robert Alexander Rankin (2001) Ramanujan: Essays and Surveys Providence, Rhode Island: American Mathematical Society. p.  ISBN 0-8218-2624-7
- António Feliciano de Castilho, A Primavera, segunda edição, Lisboa, 1837
- "Method Man, Redman Give Tips For Vegetarians, Good Skin Care". . Vegetarian Star. 16 June 2009. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- Goldstein, D. 1997. Is Hay Ony for Horses?. In Musya Glants and Joyce Toomre, eds. Food in Russian History and Culture. Indiana University Press.
- "The singer, the song". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 16 February 2004.
- "The president who will pray in Hebron and commemorate Kafr Qasim".
- Roberts, Alice (30 May 2009). Excess Baggage. Interview with John McCarthy. BBC Radio 4. [when?]
- Ackford, Paul (31 January 2005). "Andy Robinson". The Daily Telegraph (London). Daily Telegraph, 31 January 2005
- "Salon Brilliant Careers Fred Rogers".
- "ANDA: Notáveis vegetarianos e defensores do vegetarianismo". (Portuguese)
- "The Animal Rights Library –The Unpardonable Crime, by Romain Rolland".
- "Marc van Roon" (in Dutch). Art in Rhythm UK Ltd. 2009. Retrieved 26 October 2009.
- "Xavier Rudd interview". Incendiary Magazine. 28 March 2006. [dead link]
- Rocker Xavier Rudd Gets Real. Peta Asia-Pacific | "Features". . Retrieved 1 April 2009.
- "World's Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrities". . PETA. Retrieved 18 February 2008.
- "RZA Introduces His "RZA Veggie Burger"".
- "Rza, Unspoken Word".
- Henry Stephens Salt, The Logic Of Vegetarianism: Essays And Dialogues, Kessinger Publishing, 2009.
- "150 volksvertegenwoordigers: DIEDERIK SAMSOM" (in Dutch). Stichting Per Definitie. Retrieved 20 April 2008.
- Rodrigo Santoro tem por hobby preparar risotos [Rodrigo Santoro has a risotto-preparing hobby] (2008-08-29) (in Portuguese), globo.com. Retrieved 2012-05-16, Archive (2012-05-16), Archive2 (2008-10-26)
- Famosos aderem à dieta vegetariana sem comprometer a balança [Celebrities adhere to a vegetarian diet without compromising the balance] (2009-11-24), Minha Vida. Retrieved 2012-05-16, Archive (2012-05-16) (in Portuguese), Archive2 (2012-05-16)
- Rodrigo Santoro, vegetarianismo.com.br. Retrieved 2012-05-16, Archive (2012-05-16) (in Portuguese), "Archive2". (2012-05-16)
-  (Portuguese)
- Interview Judith Sargentini on Amsterdam.nl[dead link]
- "Martín Sastre | VIDEOART GALLERY". Martinsastre.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010. [dead link]
- Sri Swami Satchidananda, The Healthy Vegetarian, Integral Yoga Publications, third edition, 1994, p. 115.
- Tommy Nguyen (4 July 2004). "Red, White and Golden Arches: The Star-Spangled Banner Ad". News (The Washington Post). Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- "Oproep aan alle Tofutti Schatjes en Vega Krachtpatsers" (in Dutch). PETA Netherlands. Retrieved 21 April 2008. [dead link]
- "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World's Jason Schwartzman Talks With Us". K-Hits. CBS Radio. 9 November 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "It is noteworthy that Schweitzer became a vegetarian only towards the end of his life, nearly four decades after he set forth his ethics of reverence for life." Mike W. Martin, Albert Schweitzer's Reverence For Life Aldershot, England: Ashgate, 2007. ISBN 9780754686941 (p.39)
- MacRae, Fiona "Macrae, Fiona (14 December 2006). "Vegetarians are more intelligent, says study". Daily Mail (London). ", Daily Mail, 14 December 2006
- "Virender Sehwag Official Website". Archived from the original on 20 April 2012
- "Serenity". Wicked Pictures. Archived from the original on 1 June 2010.
- "Carroll, Larry. "'Twilight' Stars Use Their Newfound Fame For Good Causes" MTV.com 17 August 2009".
- Animal Rights History- The Epistles of Lucius Annæus Seneca[dead link]
- "Famous Vegetarians". Organichealthandbeauty.com. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- ""Martin Shaw Cooks Veggie". [dead link]", Viva!
- McManus, Bridget; Sheth, Sheetal (26 July 2009). Brunch with Sheetal Sheth (Brunch with Bridget, Episode 70), Part 2 of 3, time 0:00 (Video blog). Los Angeles, CA: AfterEllen.com. Retrieved 30 January 2012. [dead link]
- "Instituto Politécnico de Setúbal: Agostinho da Silva". (Portuguese)
- "The Green Quote: Sarah Silverman Shares Her Story Of Vegetarianism".
- Grace Farrell, ed., Isaac Bashevis Singer: Conversations", University Press of Mississippi, 1992, pp. 29, 120-121, 150
- Isaac Bashevis Singer, Love and Exile: An Autobiographical Trilogy", Farrar, Straus and Giroux, New York, 1984, pp. 49, 234-238
- Charles Patterson, This Boundless Slaughterhouse: The Compassionate Vision of Isaac Bashevis Singer[dead link]
- Dave Gilson (3 May 2006). "Chew the Right Thing". Mother Jones. Retrieved 13 March 2009.
- "93 YEAR OLD MARATHONER, FAUJA SINGH, HITS STRIDE IN NEW PRO-VEGETARIAN PETA AD".
- "Fauja Singh, 93, Champion International Marathon Runner, VEGETARIAN".
- Animal Rights History- The Epistles of Lucius Annæus Seneca[dead link]
- O Vegetariano: Mensário Naturista Ilustrado, Porto.
- Henry Spira: The Vagan.com Interview, by Erik Marcus[dead link]
- "Savvy Vegetarian "'The Compassionate Diet Review: How You Eat Can Change Your Life and Save the Planet "".
- "PETA Motive - Vegetarismus". (German)
- "The World's Sexiest Vegetarians Are ..". peta2. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- "What's in your basket? Joss Stone, soul singer". guardian.co.uk (London). 24 February 2008. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "Introducing Joss Stone's Vegetarian Ad". petaDishroom. Retrieved 5 July 2007. [dead link]
- "Ruben Studdard slims down by going vegetarian".
- What happened to Mark Suppelsa
- Bring Me The Horizon's Oli Stars in peta2 Ad, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Retrieved 2012-05-08, Archive (8 May 2012), Archive2 (16 May 2009)
- PJ Grimes/PivotPointe. "Backstage Gourmet Quotes". Backstagegourmet.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "PETA2 // Out There // Q&A with Serj Tankian of System of a Down". Peta2.com. Retrieved 14 April 2010. [dead link]
- "Kürk giyen Tarkan'dan , Vejetaryen Tarkan'a | Vejetaryen Dünyası". Haytap.org. Retrieved 7 May 2012. [dead link]
- Wieldraaijer, Eimer (2004). "Marianne Thieme: De stem van de dieren" (in Dutch). kattenhulpdelfland.nl. Retrieved 16 April 2008.
- "Maarten Tjallingii" (in Dutch). NOS Studio Sport. 2008. Retrieved 11 July 2008.
- Ernest Howard Crosby, Tolstoy and His Message, London, 1904 [Elibron Classics facsimile, 2005], p. 88.
- Active Interest Media, Inc (December 1987). Vegetarian Times — Google Books. Books.google.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- The Spiritual in art: abstract painting 1890-1985, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1987, p. 182
- "Ecorazzi – Shania Twain".
- "Past Celebrity 'Sexiest Vegetarian Alive' Winners". [dead link]
- "2as Sem Carne, Histórias e entrevistas: Pedro Valdjiu". (Portuguese)
- "Newsweek Magazine". . [. Retrieved 2 July 2009]/
- "Marly en haar eetgewoontes!" (in Dutch). GTST plaats. 6 December 2005. Retrieved 19 April 2008. [dead link]
- London Free Press - Today - My vegetarian hero[dead link]
- "Men's Fitness Interviews: Milo Ventimiglia".
- "Intervista a Umberto Veronesi" (in Italian). Oggi. 23 October 2002. Retrieved 5 February 2007.
- "Žymių žmonių pasisakymai apie gyvūnų išnaudojimą". Animal Rights Lithuania. Retrieved 7 December 2008. (in Lith.)
- "NFL Superstar Herschel Walker Is A Proud Vegetarian " ecorazzi.com :: the latest in green gossip". Ecorazzi.com. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "Obituaries". , Young Indian Vegetarians, issue 50, p.8
- "A TV hero for real-life change: Dennis Weaver, actor, 1924-2006" in The Sydney Morning Herald, 29 March 2006, p. 29
- Hattersley, Roy (2003-06-24). The Life of John Wesley: A Brand from the Burning. Doubleday. p. 192. ISBN 978-0385503341. "On his way to Georgia in 1735 [Wesley] became a vegetarian. Two years later he began to eat meat again. But in 1740, ... he became a vegetarian once more. And so he remained, to the undoubted benefit of his constitution, for the rest of his life."
- "Forest Whitaker: The King Of The Oscars?". CBS News. CBS News. 4 February 2007.
- "PSA for PETA". PETA TV.
- White, E.G., Healthful Living (1897, 1898), The Health Food Ministry (1970) and The Ministry of Healing (1905).
- "Hairy politicians". cafebabel.com. 3 October 2007. Retrieved 16 April 2008. [dead link]
- Norbert Wiener, I am a Mathematician, 1956, chapter 10.
- "Meet the Sexiest Vegetarian Celebrity Winners!". PETA Asia-Pacific. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- "Faye Wong Named Asia's Sexiest Vegetarian Woman". PETA. 23 June 2011. Retrieved 26 May 2013. [dead link]
- Brian Stableford Against the New Gods: The Speculative Fiction of S. Fowler Wright". in Against the New Gods and Other Essays on Writers of Imaginative Fiction. Wildside Press LLC, 2009 ISBN 1434457435 (p. 13)
- "The Shamayim V'Aretz Institute".
- "Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz Describing How He Became a Vegetarian". , The Shamayim V'Aretz Institute. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- "'The Mentalist' Star Sheds Meat (and His Shirt)".
- "Famous Belgians Marguerite Yourcenar".
- L'humanisme et la cause animale[dead link]
- "Rob Zombie Does Not Eat Flesh".
- Sparkle Soojian. "The Green Scene Teens turn to vegetarianism for different reasons." The Fresno Bee. 15 July 2001. Section: Life E6. See also Reed Parsell. "Vegging Out." The Sacramento Bee. 13 July 2002. Section: Travel M1.
- Destries, Michael (19 May 2009). "Christian Bale Dropped Being Vegetarian After Seeing Life Is Beautiful". Ecorazzi. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- Hoch, J., 2009. Blixa Bargeld: "Ich war ja nie der Punk, der vorm Postamt rumsteht" (German). Spiegel Online, [internet] 27 January. Available at http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/0,1518,602439,00.html and archived at http://www.webcitation.org/5irpNga0Z. [. Retrieved 8 August 2009].
- OutSmart Interview[dead link]
- Witrado, Anthony (21 February 2008). "Diet fit for a Prince". JSOnline. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFnJ8pWh8g | Quote: "I was a vegetarian for six years [...]."
- "Ex-Vegetarian Josh Hartnett Suffers Abdominal Pains — Too Much Meat?".
- ". - Offline". .Darren Hayes.com. Retrieved 3 February 2012. [dead link]
- Strachan, Zoe "'If Jodie Foster came out publicly today, would her visibility end homophobia in America? Sadly not'", Sunday Herald[dead link]
- Sir Ian McKellen Official Home Page. 2000. E-Post: - Correspondence with Ian McKellen. [Online] (Updated 5 September 2000) Available at  [. Retrieved 24 July 2009]
- Gordon Ramsay's F-Word, Season 4 Episode 6, 2009. [TV programme] Channel Four Television Corporation. Channel 4, 8 February 2009 21.00. Available at http://www.channel4.com/programmes/gordon-ramsays-f-word/4od#2922840 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VNrHwE-kk
- Milano, Alyssa. "Alyssa Milano's Dinner Party". , foodrevolutionday.com. Retrieved 1 June 2012.[dead link]
- PETA 2, unknown date. Let Vegetarianism Grow on You. [Online] peta2.com, poster. Available at  and File:Alyssa Milano 3.jpg. [. Retrieved 5 April 2009].[dead link]
- "Showbiz — News — Ten Things You Never Knew About Dannii Minogue". Digital Spy. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "Sexy vegetarianere — VG Nett om Pamela Anderson". Vg.no. 25 February 2003. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- "NME Track Reviews - Weller, Paul : Leafy Mysteries". Nme.Com. 27 November 2002. Retrieved 3 February 2012.
- Kareena Kapoor is no longer a vegetarian
- Hayden Panettiere Ditched Her Vegetarian Diet-Have You Ever Flip-Flopped?:health-fitness:glamour.com
- Parekh, Mitali (20 November 2010). "John sticks to vegetarianism". Times of India. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- See: Jon Gregerson, Vegetarianism: A History, Jain Publishing Co, 1996, p. 46-47.
- Calaprice, Alice. The New Quotable Einstein (translation of letter to Hermann Huth, December 27, 1930; Einstein Archive 46-756
- "History of Vegetarianism".
- Kiley, David. Kiley, David (10 June 2003). "First Henry Ford had wide-ranging interests". USA Today. usatoday.com. 10 June 2003.
- "Vegetarian Star - Michael Jackson Loved Tofu Enchiladas With Cheese, Green Sauce".
- Elkind, Peter (15 March 2008). "The trouble with Steve Jobs". Fortune. Retrieved 21 July 2008.
- Altucher, James (October 6, 2011). "10 Unusual Things I Didn't Know About Steve Jobs". Forbes. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Kelhoffer, James A. (2005). "1B: 4. A 'Vegetarian' Historical Baptist? (Pallis, Kieferndorf and Eisler)". The Diet of John the Baptist: "Locusts and Wild Honey" in Synoptic and Patristic Interpretation. Wissenschaftliche Untersuchungen Zum Neuen Testament 176. Mohr Siebeck. pp. 19–21. ISBN 9783161484605.
- Mike Hudak,"Abraham Lincoln: Vegetarian and Animal Rights Advocate?—A Review of the Evidence".
- Robbins, John (1987). Diet for a new America: how your food choices affect your health, happiness, and the future of life on earth. Cover design by Eismont Design. Graphics by Deo Robbins. Cover production by Jim Marin. Stillpoint Publishing. p. 95. ISBN 0-915811-81-2.
- Preece, R, 2008. Sins of the Flesh: A History of Ethical Vegetarian Thought, University of British Columbia Press.
- Fishkin, S.F. ed., 2009. Mark Twain's Book of Animals. University of California Press. p.316
- «Arguments against Ethical Vegetarianism» in Walters, K.S., & Portmess, L., eds., 1999. Ethical Vegetarianism from Pythagoras to Peter Singer, State University of New York Press.